calling any one from missouri

Hi Cheri,
If you hang out on BYC you will surely need to build more coops. It is hard to keep from adding more and more chickens! hahaha

welcome-byc.gif

I just found this thread...haven't read where everyone else is from but I wanted to jump in and introduce myself

I'm Cheri just outside of Jefferson City, but grew up in Shelby County in Northeast Missouri (25 miles from Macon). My Dad had chickens when I was a child and we'd take them to some Amish folk to butcher them for us (we did it a few times but I guess that there were too many and it was too much work - I remember plucking and plucking wet feathers). Any way, here I am 30 years later, and my kids see the chicks at Tractor Supply and I relent. I'm trying to keep the flock small but I like variety and beauty in my flock so I'm having to stop myself from buying more chickens. I have 9 pullets( 2 Rhode Island Reds, 4 Red Stars, 3 Barred Rock), 1 Barred Rock cockerel and Two Easter Eggers that I do not know the gender for certain (I've had someone on BYC tell me both cockerels but the combs are still so pale that I am hoping at least one female so I can have some pretty blue eggs). We also have 4 bantams that my boys are suppose to be taking care of but for now, they are roosting with the big girls (out of the coop, however, they keep to themselves for now). This means that they are eating and drinking from the same feeder/waterer as my big girls but the bantams will eventually get their own coop with their own feeder, their own waterer, and their own run. Maybe next year we'll hatch some bantams and barred rock babies.
Look under everyone's profile picture...it should say where they are from. I'm from Dixon, not too terribly far from you. GO look up Chicken Swap of Missouri on FB. BYC and CSM have been rather helpful for me. I've only had chickens for 5 wks now and I have learned tons from both places. WELCOME to BYC, btw

Does anyone up near Chillicothe (within 1 hour) have either guinea eggs or keets for sale?
I am willing to pay cash for eggs or trade a brand new Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight (never been opened, $140 at store)
or a Baby Go! Fabric Cutter with 3 dies (brand new, never been out of box, ~$200 at store) for keets.

I am getting desperate, LOL. The ticks are driving me nuts!

Hello! I'm Angela and we live in Lake of the Ozarks. We are new to raising chickens. We have 5 chickens that are around 7 weeks old, don't know the breed or sex. We just got our coop built today. It's soooo much bigger then I expected so I'm hoping to maybe get some full grown chickens so we can start getting eggs but we'll probably just hold off.
I'm so excited to learn about raising chickens. We are literally learning as we go!

If you don't have any luck on here finding keets, try craigslist.com for your area. They're normally listed in the Farm & Garden category.

I've tried craigslist. The closest to me is Kirksville, still over an hour away, but nothing on there. Then went and looked at St. Joe, Columbia, and
Kansas City. Everyone that I can find that has eggs or keets are over 1 hr 45mins from me. At this point, I don't have the time to drive that
far to pick up eggs or keets. I just started a new job and am still in the training process, so my hours keep changing from one day to the next.
I've even gone the one local small animal sale that I know of. I just moved to Missouri about 8 months ago and still don't know the area very well.

Does anyone up near Chillicothe (within 1 hour) have either guinea eggs or keets for sale?
I am willing to pay cash for eggs or trade a brand new Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight (never been opened, $140 at store)
or a Baby Go! Fabric Cutter with 3 dies (brand new, never been out of box, ~$200 at store) for keets.

go to Chicken Swap of Missouri on Face Book. Its a group of folks who are into chickens(and other things) just in MO...http://www.facebook.com/groups/225021300913860/ tell them Mamabear Amy sent you

I SO want to go to Jacob's cave...but we're building a pergola this weekend.

Please come back and tell me how it was!
It was fun, and it was huge, just like the first time I went.
thumbsup.gif
As usual, I left with more chickens than I came with...
gig.gif
but at least the ones I sold more than paid for the ones I bought.
cool.png

my bf just built a pergola...would'nt know what that was til he made one. good luck with it. I'm going to be taking pictures for my kids since they can't make it. I'll try to remember to post it. are you on Chicken Swap of MO on FB?
I imagine you already have that answer figured out, Mamabear66, but, yes, I am.
big_smile.png
(I'm Mary Ann)
I just found this thread...haven't read where everyone else is from but I wanted to jump in and introduce myself

I'm Cheri just outside of Jefferson City, but grew up in Shelby County in Northeast Missouri (25 miles from Macon). My Dad had chickens when I was a child and we'd take them to some Amish folk to butcher them for us (we did it a few times but I guess that there were too many and it was too much work - I remember plucking and plucking wet feathers). Any way, here I am 30 years later, and my kids see the chicks at Tractor Supply and I relent. I'm trying to keep the flock small but I like variety and beauty in my flock so I'm having to stop myself from buying more chickens. I have 9 pullets( 2 Rhode Island Reds, 4 Red Stars, 3 Barred Rock), 1 Barred Rock cockerel and Two Easter Eggers that I do not know the gender for certain (I've had someone on BYC tell me both cockerels but the combs are still so pale that I am hoping at least one female so I can have some pretty blue eggs). We also have 4 bantams that my boys are suppose to be taking care of but for now, they are roosting with the big girls (out of the coop, however, they keep to themselves for now). This means that they are eating and drinking from the same feeder/waterer as my big girls but the bantams will eventually get their own coop with their own feeder, their own waterer, and their own run. Maybe next year we'll hatch some bantams and barred rock babies.
Hello, Cheri, and
welcome-byc.gif
. You will rapidly learn that Chicken Math makes it nearly impossible to stop getting chickens.
lau.gif

Hello! I'm Angela and we live in Lake of the Ozarks. We are new to raising chickens. We have 5 chickens that are around 7 weeks old, don't know the breed or sex. We just got our coop built today. It's soooo much bigger then I expected so I'm hoping to maybe get some full grown chickens so we can start getting eggs but we'll probably just hold off.
I'm so excited to learn about raising chickens. We are literally learning as we go!
Hello, Angela, and
welcome-byc.gif
.Enjoy your new babies, and, yes, the learning curve can sometimes be pretty steep.
ep.gif
There are some great people on here, and there is a huge repository of knowledge to be found here.
thumbsup.gif

I would also invite both of you to wander over to Facebook's Chicken Swap of Missouri, and join there.
jumpy.gif

Cackle Hatchery now has some keets or I'm sure you could get eggs. They'll ship right to you.
I dropped in and picked up a few lavenders and royals yesterday.
Turkeys will nail ticks too.
And YES, the ticks are certainly atrocious!

Back
Top Bottom