Calling cold weather (Alberta, Canada) cluckers!!

What breeds do you have? Anything with monster combs and wattles? My girls tend to keep the coop anywhere from 10-15 degrees warmer than the outside temps if the winds aren't wicked. The water was the aspect of winter i struggled with the longest, and I think you're entirely right on the trial and error front, there's dozens of fantastic ideas and diy plans out there but it's going to be a matter of what works best for you and your setup.

What breeds do you have? Anything with monster combs and wattles? My girls tend to keep the coop anywhere from 10-15 degrees warmer than the outside temps if the winds aren't wicked. The water was the aspect of winter i struggled with the longest, and I think you're entirely right on the trial and error front, there's dozens of fantastic ideas and diy plans out there but it's going to be a matter of what works best for you and your setup.
I'm unsure of the combs and wattles... They're still pretty young at about 15 weeks. There are icelandic, white chantecler, americana/EE, orpington, and a cross of some sort. I'm not too worried about that.

I'm thinking maybe I'll cover the walls and the roof of the run (save for the door) with poly,

The tighter you anchor it (or any plastic) the better. If it flaps even a tiny bit in the wind it will break way sooner.

the other poster's suggestion about windows is great. Often you can ask for fogged old windows for free from a window store, they work great as w8nd breaks.

The ceramic bulbs are solid. Much more so that the light bulbs.

I once had a heat lamp in my coop, when I entered the coop a cold gust of air came in with me. When the cold gust hit the hot bulb the bulb shattered.

So.... not sure if that would happen with a ceramic bulb.... :idunno

From the north myself. Smaller coop=warmer. They are fine. Keep the water open and they will be good. At least all mine were.

The tighter you anchor it (or any plastic) the better. If it flaps even a tiny bit in the wind it will break way sooner.

the other poster's suggestion about windows is great. Often you can ask for fogged old windows for free from a window store, they work great as w8nd breaks.

I once had a heat lamp in my coop, when I entered the coop a cold gust of air came in with me. When the cold gust hit the hot bulb the bulb shattered.

So.... not sure if that would happen with a ceramic bulb.... :idunno
I really like the idea of some semi transparent corrugated plastic sheets. I'll hit the hardware store and see what I can find. I like reusable! 😊
The ceramic bulbs are a solid chunk of ceramic around a heating wire. I'm quite confident that they will work well. I will however do a little research to make sure.
Depending on what kind if temps the coop runs at, I may end up having to go for a smaller wattage. We will see.

Back
Top Bottom