Calling Cream Legbar Experts!!

LegbarMama

Songster
Mar 17, 2021
I am wondering if this cockerel is SOP and if his coloring is right. It is all a little confusing and I'm no expert. I'm also wondering about the chicks colors. I had a cockerel before that was yellow and this rooster was different, as are his offspring. Does anyone know why?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211025-145328_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20211025-145328_Photos.jpg
    671.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20211019_153800.jpg
    20211019_153800.jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200421_090841.jpg
    20200421_090841.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
The sexual dimorphism in chicks has to be selectively bred for, since there is natural variation in down color. The rooster lacks some depth and his tail angle is too high, otherwise, decent type. Overall he seems like a quality bird, but I can’t even pretend to understand Legbar color.

The sexual dimorphism in chicks has to be selectively bred for, since there is natural variation in down color. The rooster lacks some depth and his tail angle is too high, otherwise, decent type. Overall he seems like a quality bird, but I can’t even pretend to understand Legbar color.
Ok I appreciate your reply! Thank you very much

I am wondering if this cockerel is SOP and if his coloring is right. It is all a little confusing and I'm no expert. I'm also wondering about the chicks colors. I had a cockerel before that was yellow and this rooster was different, as are his offspring. Does anyone know why?
From the picture he looks like he is missing any barring on his saddle feathers. Can you get a closer pic?

Definitely Jill Reese influence there. I am totally against the line personally as I don't like the washed out coloring that line produces and the fact the line is so so with auto sexing, meaning the line is losing that which makes them a legbar. Also watch out, every rooster I have gotten my hands on from the Jill Reese line has ended up mean. The further away they are from the import the mellower they become.

Dang it, I don't care what the proposed SOP states, I like some color in my roosters. If I wanted wishy washy colored roosters, I would raise French Legbars. My opinion only.

Definitely Jill Reese influence there. I am totally against the line personally as I don't like the washed out coloring that line produces and the fact the line is so so with auto sexing, meaning the line is losing that which makes them a legbar. Also watch out, every rooster I have gotten my hands on from the Jill Reese line has ended up mean. The further away they are from the import the mellower they become.

Dang it, I don't care what the proposed SOP states, I like some color in my roosters. If I wanted wishy washy colored roosters, I would raise French Legbars. My opinion only.
Ok that is actually good to know. I had a legbar rooster that I had got from tractor supply and he was a yellow chick and grew up to be full of color. He passed and I looked for a long time and finally found this rooster. I had no idea what line he came from and I'm still confused about the difference. He is still less than a year old but so far he has not gotten aggressive. Fingers crossed

Definitely Jill Reese influence there. I am totally against the line personally as I don't like the washed out coloring that line produces

I believe that the Jill Reese line is one the best and outstanding lines that matches the SOP the best.

That is how Cream Legbars males should look like and that is because of the double effect on gold that the cream dilution gene and double barred gene.

If you like rich colored Legbars you can always go with a Gold Legbar

1635436213460.png

Attachments

• 1635436188024.png
    1635436188024.png
    536 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I believe that the Jill Reese line is one the best and outstanding lines that matches the SOP the best.

That is how Cream Legbars males should look like and that is because of the double effect on gold that the cream dilution gene and double barred gene.

If you like rich colored Legbars you can always go with a Gold Legbar
I raise the Gold Crele Legbars. That was the first import. While the Jill Reese is closest to SOP, it introduced several bad traits, including more green tint to the eggs, attitude and aggressiveness and washing out hatch down with auto sexing. I have had both variations and I have had several hatches from the Jill Reese line and import so I am not judging things based on a one off hatch, but of six years raising legbars.

I disliked the push after the Jill Reese line came to the U.S. to say legabrs are supposed to look like that line and how everyone jumped on the bandwagon just because the imports from that line were champions to sidetrack any but the cream legbar when applying for APA status. Which is still not approved.

Back
Top Bottom