Calling male after female dies.

AWalker650

In the Brooder
May 13, 2020
I am fairly new to quail so don’t know much. I have 3, 2 females and one male. The male is a White Texas A & M, as well as one of the females. The other female was a Jumbo Coutrnix They were all good until for some reason the female Jumbo Coutrnix died unexpectedly 3 days ago. Since then the male has been calling non stop! I’ve had them for almost 2 years and he’s always been relatively quiet, maybe one call a day or maybe a call every few days. I’m wondering if anyone has any idea why he is doing that. It’s him and another female in the cage now so he’s not alone but I’m wondering if the one who died was his favorite or maybe one isn’t enough for him. And ideas or info would be greatly appreciated! I need to get this guys to quiet down before my neighbors kill me. Haha.

So sorry for the loss :(

It is quite possible, that the died female was his favorite hen and he is mourning.

I replaced one male for breeding new colors and even he had enough new females he was crying for his favorite hen from the old group without pause.

I needed to replace her too.

Unfortunately you cannot her back. Maybe you can get him happy again with a new Coturnix Jumbo, same coloring.

It is quite possible, that the died female was his favorite hen and he is mourning.

I replaced one male for breeding new colors and even he had enough new females he was crying for his favorite hen from the old group without pause.

Unfortunately you cannot her back. Maybe you can get him happy again with a new Coturnix Jumbo, same coloring.
same.

Thanks for the welcome and the info. That’s what I figured it was but I really didn’t know that they picked favorites. I hope he gets a over her soon. 😥

Back
Top Bottom