Calling Naked Neck Owners!

ChickenGirl555

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 22, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
I have a Naked Neck chick, and she/he has a pretty big comb. I looked up some pictures on Google and noticed that all of them just have HUGE combs. I really hope my chick isn't a cockerel because then this summer/spring we will have to give him away, and I don't want that. Can a Naked Neck owner please tell me if pullets have big combs...or just the boys? Here is a picture. The Naked Neck is the brown chick.
2470D5EB-0018-4D51-AB82-9FDE00F1AAA5.jpeg

Yeah. Do you know if there's such thing as a 'early bloomer'? That she/he's just maturing a little faster than other breeds?
I've only had a handful of NNs and showgirls (NN mix) and they were not early bloomers. It's not really the size of the comb, it's the redness. There's a few breeds I've noticed get a little pink early, but the roos will get very pink and then red fairly early, like within a couple of months of hatching. How old is the chick?

I've only had a handful of NNs and showgirls (NN mix) and they were not early bloomers. It's not really the size of the comb, it's the redness. There's a few breeds I've noticed get a little pink early, but the roos will get very pink and then red fairly early, like within a couple of months of hatching. How old is the chick?
We don't know how old for sure, but maybe 5-7 weeks? If the size doesn't matter then she/he might actually be a pullet because it's not red, just really big. But he/she also has some red 'half circle outlines' on her/his...cheeks? Basically the bare part on the sides of her/his face.

All of my naked necks that age showing that bright pink of a comb all ended up being roos. Best to hold onto it until youre sure, but it definitely looks like a roo, sorry

People are mixing the NN's with everything, so the size of the adult combs will depend on if it was crossed with anything else. Your's does look pretty young to be spouting that dark of a pink comb and wattles, and look's to be a cockerel to me. I have girls that are older than your's looks like, that were not that dark of a pink when they were younger.

Back
Top Bottom