Calling Partridge Rocks!

chickenbuddy

Songster
11 Years
Jun 4, 2008
I ordered from Ideal and I have 25 little peepers coming in April and some of them will be partridge rocks.
I would love to see some so I can see what they look like in real life. Though I'd prefer pictures of standards, pics of bantams are fine too.

Thanks!

{chickenbuddy}

Sorry, I don't have any pics of P. Rocks, but I used to keep them years ago and they are one of my favorite breeds. The hens are a pretty dark brown and the roosters very colorful. The chicks, if I remember right, are dark brown with a lighter stripe down their back and stripes on the sides of their faces. They always reminded me of little chipmunks. I just ordered 28 chicks and it was a toss up between P. Rocks and S. Sussex. I ordered Sussex for my son to show at the fair. Good luck!

I have a ton of pics of them as they grew here in this album

http://s520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/walkswithdog/Partridge Rock Record/

Their adult pictures are being uploaded but it's slow going.

I LOVE PARTRIDGE ROCKS. Just in case you hadn't noticed by the time you were done with the album.

There aren't a lot of "as they grow" feather examples on the internet so I take a lot of pictures.

And I culled down to eight hens two roos, from 25. George is in there as a cockeral, he's still growing, still getting more buff but he's a nice example of a grown one. I'll have more of the girls added later.

Here are some photos of mine. I don't seem to have any of my hens (except when they are chicks) though. The hens are beautiful too! hmmmm I will keep looking.

chick-1week.jpg

1-2 weeks old

cchicks10.jpg

one of the roosters

PartridgeRoo2.jpg

Partridge Rock Rooster with a Partridge Rock Hen right below

PartridgeRoo.jpg

young rooster

PRRoo319-wks.jpg

ETA - I found 1 picture that has a PR hen in it!

Last edited:
Oh, I love my Partridge Rocks also. The hens are so lovely, and the roosters are just gorgeous. I have no pictures of my late roo, but here are some of my hens.

A baby

23023_100_4309_cropped.jpg

Hens

23023_100_4233_640x480.jpg

23023_100_4190_640x480.jpg

Last edited:
Chickenbuddy I also just ordered 25 chicks but mine where all PRs and from another hatchery. I get mine at the end of April. Good luck with yoyr new babies.
jumpy.gif

My PR's just started LAYING this week at 20 weeks on the MONEY!!! Woohoo, itty bitty pullet eggs! That's always funny to see. They so look like bantams at first.

I'm still gathering them to throw them in the bator with mostly a what the heck kind of attitude.

Since I actually sold or culled almost all of the PR's I have purchased this latest batch of 20 week olds are the ones that have come closest to the standard and represent the best that I've seen in three batches.

Teach me to read the standard and then apply it to production birds, but this last batch from Ideal actually turned out fairly nice.

So from here, onward and upward. There are a lot of generations in my future. But now I have good barreds, Delawares growing and sizzles (and hopefully OEGB) for eventual broodies.

We're on our way to heritage PR's
smile.png
and I am all jazzed.

Walkswithdog if I do not get any roos out of my batch of 25 I might come a calling to you to see if you have one or two. Hmm might even be a out breeding for me since the hatcheries are acoss country from each other.

There ya go Cyber I'll be hatching PRs probably into August at least, I might go nearly year round now that I have the wellhouse brooder about set up.

And I figure on growing four more roos out this year. I'll have a heritage quality Del cockeral and a couple back ups for bulk and growth rate at the end of this year. And hopefully a group of good Barreds coming up with them over time.

One thing at a time it's beginning to go the right direction.

Us PR people have to hang together
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom