Calling Serama Experts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CrazyChickensEverwhere

Songster
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
Hello serama experts! I just orders 12 serama eggs from someone on BYC, and I have a few questions

1.) Do serama roosters get along?
2.) what is a ratio of hens for 1 serama rooster?
3.) how much room do they need?
4.) how long to you need them in the house until there ready for there breeding pens? (Temps here range 60- low 80's top right now)
5.) Do hens mature later then a average standard hen?
6.) do they need heat in winter ?

Thanks, any questions answered will be helpful!
big_smile.png

Lol thank you for the prompt Ayeupchuck
smile.png

1.) Do serama roosters get along?
2.) what is a ratio of hens for 1 serama rooster?
3.) how much room do they need?
4.) how long to you need them in the house until there ready for there breeding pens? (Temps here range 60- low 80's top right now)
5.) Do hens mature later then a average standard hen?
6.) do they need heat in winter ?

1) I only have one cage with 2 roosters in it but the one rooster is crippled (splayed leg) and grew up with the other rooster and his hen so they get along just fine. I have never tried 2 roosters together but I've heard they will fight a lot!
2) I think the same ratio as standard size hens as long as you have enough space
3) Outside, I really can't tell you because all mine are inside birds. I keep pairs in cages that are 36"x36" and that is a lot of space for them.
4) Again, the same as any other chicken - 4 months. This is my personal choice because all my research has told me chickens immune systems do not reach their full capacity till this time.
5) Hens mature much faster! My hens start laying between 14 and 16 weeks of age. Roosters mature by 8 weeks (crowing) and 12 weeks (sexual)
6) If your temperature drops below 40 degrees, yes they need heat.

I hope this helps!

Will do!
I ordered from 2 people, 12 seramas each! there both sending the eggs tomorrow, Lets see with BYC member will have the better hatch lol

(incubator)

Back
Top Bottom