Calling Speckled Hen.

True, nothing is 100% accurate....look at me, I had a Barred Rock chick roo that turned into a hen.
th.gif

Speckled Hen!!!

I gave away some roosters and the woman bought me 6 barred rocks (I just about died
th.gif
)

can you tell me if there is a roo there?
hu.gif

my kids and I did color the dot so we knew who was who... but I am thinking size and shape are the same??
frow.gif

Picture280.jpg

Picture281.jpg

Picture283.jpg

Picture284.jpg

Picture286.jpg

Well, it's hard to call-the first pic I can't really tell much. I think 2, 3, and 4 are cockerels but 5 is harder to call. The headspot is not the only indication. You really have to put that piece of info with the barring and the legs-pullets have a good bit of black wash down the fronts of their legs and the boys don't have much at all. Their legs show more yellow. My famous Lexie had a HUGE headspot and lighter barring and has been laying eggs for a long time now.

Last edited:
For an example, this was a cockerel, Lexie's first baby I ever hatched:
DCP_6659.jpg

In this picture, the pullet is on the sawhorse and her brother in on the ground-see the wider bars and more in number and larger spot on the cockerel's head:
DCP_7140.jpg

DCP_7141.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly what I always say, the rules don't always work. I have one of those "you have a definite cockerel" people way back when my Lexie was a chick and most of you know how that turned out. It did get me to really wanting a Barred Rock rooster, though, and I got Hawkeye last October. Wonderful, wonderful breed.

Quote:
Standard Hen, look at the bottom right of every post and you will see either the words "report or quote". Just click on the quote and a box will come up for you to type you message in. Just be sure that your curser (little blinking black box here) is after end of the quote that is now in your box. Does that make sense to you? I hope it does.
big_smile.png

Cyn -

Lexie's a mama?!! My how time flies! It just seems like it wasn't all that long ago that we were following the Lexie saga at the "other" BYC. Then we watched Hawkeye go from scraggly boy to a hunk of a man. We've watched them grow up before our eyes. Thanks for sharing them with us!

Shelly

Hey ya'll I finally figured out how to post pics, Yeehaaa, these are pictures of our coop and run from start to finish, and these are the ladies for whom we went to all the trouble for
IMGP0325.jpg

IMGP0324.jpg

IMGP0321.jpg

IMGP0320.jpg

IMGP0318.jpg

IMGP0313.jpg

IMGP0308.jpg

IMGP0307-1.jpg

IMGP0305.jpg

IMGP0302.jpg

IMGP0298.jpg

IMGP0297.jpg