CALLING TERRIE! (and all other duck masters)

TheOLDNewChick

I'm an original
12 Years
Jun 12, 2007
Tioga, Louisiana
Is it possible for ducklings to drink themselves to death? I have two newly hatched ducklings (hatched yesterday), and two eight day old rouen ducklings. It seems like all the rouens do is drink! I was just wondering if they're like some other animals and can drink themselves to death, if so, how can I keep them from drinking so much?

I am still a newb but mine does that to. I think its normal. Does he eat and drink consistantly? If he is he is just helping wash down the food so he dont choke

I think they just love water. You can only die from drinking too much water if you don't get electrolytes in your diet (usually that is from food, as hypnofrogstevie mentions). If you were worried, you could put a little electrolyte in the water, but I think that is unnecessary.

That's the thing though, I've sat and watched them for periods of 45 minutes or more (yes, I know, I have no life.) and they rarely ever stop to eat anything, they just constantly drink! I think it's normal too but I thought I heard someone say something about their ducklings drinking themselves to death a while back, not on here but in a conversation being held at a feed store.

Are they drinking? or playing? I have two ducklings in the tub (MY gourmet soaker tub no less) and I watch them alot. They do drink a good amount of water, but they also waste a lot doodling in it. Unless a duckling is sick in some way (and I can't think of anything that would make them drink that much), they are fine.
Enjoy them! They grown from little sloblings to big poopmeisters so fast!

Actually, overconsumtion of water can be fatal in young ducklings is something I have seen mentioned before on a how to raise duckling page.

If you are really worried about it, pull their water for brief periods of time as I have seen it mentioned that every once in a while you may have ducklings filling themselves up with water instead of consuming their food. You may even want to entice them to eat by giving them mashed hardboiled egg to see if you can increase their appetite. Adding vitamins to their water sounds valid. I would definetely check the temp in their brooder, as duckling don't need as high a temp, they feather out quickly and out grow having a light far sooner than chickens do.

For me, my waterfowl always seem to be eating and drinking. They love to spit food into the water dish, if yours aren't constantly doing both and growing at an unbelieveable rate, you should definetely monitor them.

Quote:
Your husband must really, really love you
big_smile.png

Well, Terrie, that puts new meaning to playing with duckies in the bathtub, eh?
big_smile.png

Yeah, the light in their brooder was raised so it's not as warm as the chick brooder. I might pull their water for a bit, simply for my peace of mind if nothing else. The older ones were in an outside brooder, as today WAS a beautiful, warm day. Now it's cold and rainy, so in they came. Thanks for y'alls advice. =]

Back
Top Bottom