Calls and Cayugas 2021

Pics
You know, I think a lot of people do it.
And I would venture to say they would kind of stay in their separate groups if their drake to hen ratio was good and they had plenty of space.
I keep mine separate here.
So far it has been my experience here any time I've had any mingling that the big ducks are scared to death of the little ducks. 🤣
Like a mouse to an elephant.
That's also what happens here... until they start getting to know each other. It's super fun to see the giants being scared of the little ones. (although you should not try this indoors because it might cause diarrhea by the big ones... I know this from experience :celebrate

I do, but my call drake is very much the leader of the pack.
I visited a senior breeder yesterday and he told me this:
Since he was looking for the origin of the Cayuga he crossed brother and sister for a few generations. Then he got a splash coloured Cayuga and he was so excited! he taught to have found the original color.. But when egg laying season came along the eggs were very small.. After some investigation it turned out his call drake did mate with the cayuga. Don't tell me how that's possible....
But one of my ducks (not Cayuga or Call) is definitely impregnated by my call drake this year we found out when they hatched.:) They tend to be very good at it.
I bet those little drakes know how to use their corkscrews, but what would happen to a tiny little call duck hen when one of my Franken-Drakes develops an appetite for small duck-girls?

That's not to say that one of your big Drakes couldn't take a liking to one of the little call girls. I can see that going south. I would worry about it.
As said, i have three »bellybuttons« here that on some days i could grab, throw against the nearest wall, grab them again, throw them against the wall again and so forth. Since them i know that indestructible »corkscrews« are no myth…

As said, i have three »bellybuttons« here that on some days i could grab, throw against the nearest wall, grab them again, throw them against the wall again and so forth. Since them i know that indestructible »corkscrews« are no myth…
Well..
For one thing, calls can fly. So that would give her an advantage over the bellybutton.
If you were serious about wanting them though, I would advise ya to make a covered run for them though to keep them safe when your not around. They're the perfect snack size for sky predators.

That's also what happens here... until they start getting to know each other. It's super fun to see the giants being scared of the little ones. (although you should not try this indoors because it might cause diarrhea by the big ones... I know this from experience :celebrate
Those standard size ducks can really blow out their butts can't they! Sounds like they been eating taco bell alm their lives.

Hmmm! I just can’t seem to acquire the taste for the duck eggs. You reckon it’s just MY ducks? Even cooking them repels my sense of smell. 🤷🏼‍♀️
I don't know how much difference it makes that mine don't really free range much. I could imagine that if they're out eating lots of worms bugs and weeds and such maybe it makes a difference in the egg taste?

But mostly I think it's just what you get used to. Like switching from whole milk to 2%..
I wasn't sure I liked the duck eggs too much the first time I tried them. But I wasn't about to have egg laying pets and not eat their eggs. 🤣
Now I prefer them over chicken.

Back
Top Bottom