Calls ducks? And where to find them?

Beanzie

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 11, 2014
I've had ducks for years, mostly Muscovies but a few years ago we had a flock of Khaki Campbells and now we have four ducks left; two muscovies, one khaki campbell, and one that is a mix of both. Even with the four of them, they are huge and eat plenty of food. While years prior I put my fowl on the back burner, I have really rekindled my passion for them and for years I have been in love with the idea of getting more ducks of a different breed and rehoming my others. (Only if I can find a good home for them, as I am in no rush to move them.)

So to start it out I want something small. So I narrowed down my search to the two breeds that fascinate me the most, Runner Ducks and Call Ducks. I like the Runners, and they come in various colors plus I could get a hold of them fairly easily. But I have really been aching for some Call ducks. For years, actually. Every time I see them at a fair or bird show I just stare and want to know where I can get some. So I am fairly sure that this is the breed I want.

So, for those who own them, or have owned them... What do you have to say about them? The main things I have heard about them is a) they are loud, and b) they are hard to hatch. Are these true? Honestly, I don't mind a bit of noise so long as they aren't like Guineas.
duc.gif
But if they are particularly hard to hatch, I don't know how I'll take that. I have heard people assisting every baby out of its shell in a hatch. Are any of them thrifty enough to hatch on their own? I am not particularly experienced, so as far as me stepping in I wouldn't know where to start. That might make me shy away a bit, but would runners really be any better equipped?

Also, I would love to know where to get some. I want hatching eggs or ducklings. I wouldn't mind adults, but I would only get some from NE Wisconsin because I would go broke having them shipped! Are there any hatcheries with quality ducklings for a lower price? Not that I want to be cheap, but in all honesty I cannot afford to buy offspring of a million dollar pair. So good ducks, for a decent price.
smile.png
Not too much to ask, I hope?

Thank you all in advance. I would love to hear everything - good and bad - about this breed.
smile.png

I have calls but zero hatching experience .... i am sorta hoping my quad will produce this year as i'd like a few more but don't want to buy them.

They are loud, females are, drakes? no. They adore water and require it in massive quantities if your comparing against Muscovies(which i own also) they don't eat loads nor are they particularly messy other than the classic water which means mud issues.

Finding them? well i got my first ones at a swap, the next ones off a breeder from a local board i am on. They are quite delicate for the first day or so but afterwards despite their wee size, quite hardy, mine are wintering well.

Here are my two youngest just this week.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom