calls question...?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pheasant24, Jul 22, 2011.

1. pheasant24

pheasant24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    why exactly cant calls fly? also, when will my male grey call duck get his color? he is about 4 months now.

2. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

calls DO fly .. my grey call got his colors @ around 6 months I believe... he just molted for the first time and is chocolate again and very pretty...

hes 1 yr and 4 months now.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  3. dwhite

dwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    I am still waiting for my calls to fly, they are between a few months and 4 years old.

4. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    Quote:Maybe they were pinioned (portion of the wing removed) before you got them? If so, I don't think they'll ever fly. U could look it up to see what portion of the wing is removed to see if yours are that way.

I got a call last fall with one wing's feathers clipped- she just finally molted and has new feathers. She flew tonight...so happy! It took forever for her to get new feathers, it seemed.

5. pheasant24

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    no mine arent pinioned...they're just young. i didnt know they flew though....wow! thats exciting to know! [​IMG]

6. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    call ducks cant fly well and the male gets his colers at 5 to 7 months:cool:.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:My calls can fly very well.

8. dwhite

dwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    None of mine are pinioned.

9. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:yep that's not right,
    calls are one of the BEST flyers in all domestic ducks, they can fly as well as any wild species of waterfowl.
    Thing is yall, these are domestic ducks, if they dont feel threatened and at home, they arent going to fly.
    Also all these with babies (under 6 months) , well they are just babies, it takes a while. But trust me, if they want to, they can fly like the wind.

all bantam ducks except silkies can.

None of mine do either as long as they are just out and about, let the dog come running threw the middle of them, or get too close with the mower and they'll be on the other side of the 150 acre farm in 2 seconds though.

But as long as they feel safe and secure, they'll be content to just walk around.

10. pheasant24

May 31, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    ahhhh!!! wow! glad i found that out! hahaha! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by