came home to another dead chicken :(

well see my sisters best friends dad ( who we are very close too) is a dog and cat vet. he didnt know anything about chickens but he sent it to a " professional " autopsy person. The vet may have not given me ALL the details but he said that it actually died from a tumor but it had a disease that they couldnt pin point

Quote:
Hi,

So sorry to hear about what you are going through. Have you ever thought about calling the USDA? I say this b/c they may be able to point you to a person that is doing research in your area or can point you to your State vet's office. The State Vet should give you a name and number of a Lab that you can bring your poor baby too after they have passed. Sometimes they do charge but, if you keep losing these poor babies you may want to get to the bottom of it so you do not lose anymore. Or is there anyway for you to get the results from the person doing the autopsy in writing? This way you could type it out on here and maybe someone with alot of Vet experience can help explain it to you?

I hope you get some concrete results and hope your flock is healthy soon!

Best Wishes!!
hugs.gif

That is outrageous that you are paying $100 to find out it had a "disease" but they don't know what kind. Outrageous! Check out this link and find your state vet:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=40141

Not sure where you are, but most states have vets or local universities that will do free necropsies and give you precise information regarding what your chicken has died from. You need detailed information so you can accurately treat your remaining chickens. Our state vet was super helpful, knowledgeable, kind, and compassionate when i have needed their services. And the local university that he directed me to provided extremely detailed testing free of charge.

i think you should ask for your money back. Those necropsy results were not worth what you paid. And, i am so sorry about your chickens!
sad.png
i hope you can get the help you need quickly.

Boykin- I want to say first off how sorry I am for your losses. I know how hard it is.

Those newer birds could be the source of the problem. However, it is probably too late to seperate them, so what you can do is try to treat them. (As a rule, any time you get new birds from someone or somewhere, they should be quarantined for a period of time before introducing them to your original flock) Are there any symptoms at all? No odd colored poop? Are they all eating/drinking right? My only suggestion right now is to add some Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) to their water. The kind of ACV you need is available at health food stores, not Wal Mart or any other drugstore. The reason for this is it contains the "mother" which is what the birds need. You add 1 tablespoon ACV to 1 gallon of water. I wish I had more suggestions, but I don't. I hope that your birdies get better. Sending prayers and hugs your way
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Unfortunately many viruses can cause tumors in chickens, most likely it would take more tests and cost more to identify the exact virus. The doctor doing the necropsy should have given you this option and explain if there could be any additional costs for something more than a gross necropsy (that means viewing the organs only without extensive testing). I agree that sending the remains to a Veterinary University for more detailed results especially if it is contagious is a better idea.

I am so sorry for your loss.
icare.gif

ok i am not really sure what normal chicken poop looks like. there is a lot of different colors of poop in the run and coop. there is white solid poo green poo and orange runny poo kinda like diarehia. if they cant give me anything on this chicken i will find someone else to give the chicken too. this is devastating me because i started out with 11 chickens and now i only have 7

Back
Top Bottom