Came home to dead chicken today

Having lost chickens to a weasel I can verify that it can fool you. They are very adept at killing and cleaning up any blood after. You will have to examine the chicken very closely, pay special attention to the neck area, to find the wound. BTW, weasels can get through very small--1/2 an inch or so--openings.

Quote:
This is the worst of it! I lost one of my Amberlinks on Saturday. I was around her most of the day Friday and she was perfectly fine. Even in death her comb and wattle was nice & dark red and there wern't any signs of injury at all. Hubby & I are still puzzled over this. She was just 6 months old!

And I don't think we have weasels here in Louisiana.

Sorry for the loss of yours!! Very aggravating just not knowing!

Missi

Actually, in Louisiana you have long-tailed weasels and minks. Googled it.

It sounds like heat stroke, heart attack or something more medical/natural. A predator would leave some sign either on the bird, the run, the ground etc etc.

Quote:
I had a friend who had a number of his birds killed by weasles or minks. Initially there were no obvious signs of injury. Upon further examination he found a bite mark on one of their necks. The chickens body was litterally sucked dry of blood.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom