Camelids: post your photos!

Here is a photo of Owen that I took today as he will be going to our auction the end of the month, he is 11 months old. He is the baby that is on page one.

1owen.jpg

Quote:
Wow its snowing there, i forgot its your winter its boiling here! Thanks for all those pics i spend all day looking at them agian and again - lol, i hope thats not sad is it?? I love Owen i wish i could come to that auction - how much do you think he will sell for?? Do you think i will be able to bring him through customs up my jumper??? lol thanks...
droolin.gif

Quote:
Will he eat grain out of a bucket if you hold it? do you have a barn or building that he can go in and you could get him into a stall/pen?

No he won't eat out of anything if I'm holding it. I think he remembers me as the evil one that sat on his neck and cut the halter out. Its understandable but he can sure hold a grudge. I HAD a round pen but he kinda took care of that. They are ALOT stronger than they look. He also will not walk into our barn. Even if he remains a pasture ornament I won't mind. It would just be nice to get all that hair off of him. Is it harmful for it to remain on him?

Quote:
Wow its snowing there, i forgot its your winter its boiling here! Thanks for all those pics i spend all day looking at them agian and again - lol, i hope thats not sad is it?? I love Owen i wish i could come to that auction - how much do you think he will sell for?? Do you think i will be able to bring him through customs up my jumper??? lol thanks...
droolin.gif

Yes it's winter here and a frigid -12 this morning.

Owen's brother sold for $3200 at the same age a couple years ago. One of our regular consignors from Washington is bringing a 2 year old female which we are hoping to buy.

Quote:
Will he eat grain out of a bucket if you hold it? do you have a barn or building that he can go in and you could get him into a stall/pen?

No he won't eat out of anything if I'm holding it. I think he remembers me as the evil one that sat on his neck and cut the halter out. Its understandable but he can sure hold a grudge. I HAD a round pen but he kinda took care of that. They are ALOT stronger than they look. He also will not walk into our barn. Even if he remains a pasture ornament I won't mind. It would just be nice to get all that hair off of him. Is it harmful for it to remain on him?

He is a light wooled animal and with him not trusting- shearing would probably be more tramatic on him than the hot weather- because it looks like you have alot of shade trees for him to get out of the sun on hot days. I would work on building a small pen in the pasture......strong posts and make the sides high so he would not be able to jump out...... then start feeding him in there after time he should get used to going in to eat and you can then pull the door shut to catch him if you need to.

Is there a such thing a miniature llama? Or is that the same thing as an alpaca?

Yes there are miniature llamas, we used to raise alot of them before we reduced our herd. I will post some photos tonight.​

My FIL has dromedary camels. We sold the yearling male and our oldest female passed away a couple weeks ago. Had a few vets look at her when she was getting sick. Thought it might of been lung worm since she had it before but her head started to look different and finally the last vet that seen her said she had lumpy jaw. He gave us iodine that we gave her for a couple months but she was already in bad enough health that she finally passed away. We still have 2 adult females (daughters of the one that passed), 1 adult male (unrelated), and a young female (daughter of the youngest sister) that we bottle raised.

bcamels.jpg

bcamels2.jpg

cam2.jpg

cam3.jpg

cameln.jpg

wcamel3.jpg

mcamap.jpg

Found some more pictures. Some are were taken after the baby male was only an hour old.
babycamels.jpg

babycamel2.jpg

babycampicni.jpg

babycamels1.jpg

babycamel.jpg

camelpicnick.jpg

newbaby1.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom