Camera - no internet available

SunKissed13

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2019
SW Michigan
Wanting to put a camera in our coop just to see who is laying what. We do not have internet at our house at this time, and when we did, even with an extender we couldn’t get a WiFi signal to the coop as there’s a large metal barn between coop and house.

What are my options as far as cameras? We do have electricity. I’m ok with a trail cam with video and having to switch out SD cards to view.

I did an extensive search on the forum but most Results were more related to ideas to run a hard Ethernet line to get WiFi in coop.

Get a rabbit hutch and place it next to or inside your run so the hen in it still feels like part of the flock. Maybe add a nesting box in it and put them all in separately and you'll know who is laying what or not laying. You can find them pretty cheap to free on FB Marketplace many times.

I doubt a trail cam is going to pick up enough to tell you that kind of detail. I use them a lot for hunting and they miss deer I saw walk by many times with my own eyes.

Cheaper ways to tell- if you want to know who is and who is not check pelvic bone under vent if there is more than a finger space they are laying. If it’s for breeding because you only want to hatch from certain hens you can separate hens till you collect what you need to hatch or some breeders do food coloring in the vent that leaves a color on the egg when laid.

Back
Top Bottom