1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cameras

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Bantamlover23, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Bantamlover23

Bantamlover23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Chuluota, FL
  2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would say go with the powershot A1100 IS, if it between those two cameras. That one has 2 more megapixels than the other and that will make for a better picture, especially since the other specs are generally equal.

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I have a powershot- don't like it at all. I could never totally figure out how to use it, can't get good close-ups of small things like chicks. It also burns through batteries like crazy- no matter what kind they are. Whatever you decide- don't forget to get a big memory card.

4. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I would go with the 1100 because it uses AA batteries. If your batteries run out and you don't have your charger you can always buy new ones.

I think the megapixel issue in a point and shoot is all hype. My 6 meg SLR shoots much better photos than my 12 meg A1100IS.

Another thing, check out the operating temperature range. My 1100 does not like being cold.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  5. chickens4me

chickens4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:I'll second that on the batteries with the PowerShot. It got very expensive to use that camera for me.

I now have a Nikon D50 that takes great pictures. It is a "bigger" camera, but now that I see the things it can do, I would not trade it for anything. My Nikon also has rechargable batteries, which have saved me a lot of money in the long run & the "charge" does not run out quickly either.

I hope you find a great camera you will love, too! [​IMG]

6. Bantamlover23

Aug 6, 2008
    Chuluota, FL
    Thank you for your suggestions. This is going to be my christmas present so I have to stay within a budget. But I am also open for other suggestions.

7. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I have a Powershot A1000 IS, and I love it. It takes great pics, you can see some of them on my BYC page. For someone on a budget, I do recommend a Powershot. They take great pics for the money.

8. Bantamlover23

Aug 6, 2008
    Chuluota, FL
    Quote:Thank you for the reply I saw your pictures and they did turn out nice.

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:The MP thing is only really important in an SLR. If it's a point and shoot, 6 MP is fine.

10. shawnkfl

shawnkfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    christiansburg, VA
    the MP only has an effect if you view or print a picture in a very large format. like poster size. normal photo sizes, you will not notice much of a difference, if any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by