Camping recipes and ideas! Please share!

One of our favorite campfire meals is Hoppin' John. Take a can of black-eyed peas, a can of tomatoes with jalopenos (Ro-tel), and a package of italian sausage. We usually use our deer sausage or sometimes we get a package of turkey sausage. Cut the sausage into bite size pieces - grill it in the fry pan if it needs to be cooked. Then dump in the peas and tomatoes. It is delicious. You can add rice to it, too. It's great by itself, or you can add a grilled cheese sandwich or cornbread to go with it. I always keep a package of sausage in the freezer and black-eyed peas and tomatoes in the pantry. Throw it all together in a pan, and dinner is ready in ten minutes.

We've done the boiled omelets in a bag. Put two eggs in a freezer bag, add shredded cheese, ham, bacon, sausage, chopped peppers, whatever you like. Seal the bag and drop in a pot of boiling water. They're delicious! We like them better than pan fried omelets.

Just be careful not to put too much stuff in it. Egg needs to be overwhelmingly the main ingredient - just like a regular omelet. When we did it on cub scout cookouts, we quickly found out that when they added too much cheese and other stuff, the omelets did not set up as well.

Eggs for camping?

Campfire Breakfast

Open a can of canned tamales and a can of canned chili. Remove papers from canned tamales and cut into large chunks.

Place chili and tamales into a heavy pan, whip several eggs and pour over the chili mixture. Sprinkle the top with grated cheddar cheese.

Cover with foil and cook until the eggs are set.

Also, I'd bake cake or cookies that used a lot of eggs and wrap those up and take them.

If you do too much actual cooking , you are not having a vacation; you are just taking your house work to a different location.

We make foil packs with thin sliced veggies and place meat on top, usually hamburger patties, and place on hot coals from fire. We also do the same with apples, core them and leave a little flesh on bottom making a kind of bowl of sorts. Then fill with butter, brown sugar, sometimes even red hot candies! Wrap tightly with foil and once again cook over hot coals from fire. We call them hobo packs! Yummy yummy!!!!

We make foil packs with thin sliced veggies and place meat on top, usually hamburger patties, and place on hot coals from fire. We also do the same with apples, core them and leave a little flesh on bottom making a kind of bowl of sorts. Then fill with butter, brown sugar, sometimes even red hot candies! Wrap tightly with foil and once again cook over hot coals from fire. We call them hobo packs! Yummy yummy!!!!

The apples sound really good!

hey,

Popular around here for camping/fishing lunches are piggies in a blanket.

For mine I just make up my favorite bread dough in the bread machine. Then roll out about 1/4 - 3/16th thick and cut so the ends are visible on your doggies. Then roll, seal seam w/egg wash and pinch and put seam side down on a cookie sheet. Let raise and bake.

I like those bratwurst that aren't cured and generally except for weenies will pre cook the meat.

They travel very well and never found the perfect bun for weenies, but these have just the right bread/meat ratio. I just take whatever is needed out of the freezer and is effortless.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom