Can’t identify their quacks...

Alice68

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2020
Los Angeles County
Hi - I’m new to raising and caring for ducks, and this website has helped me SO much over the past 7 weeks. Thank you!! However, despite all the info here, I still can’t figure out the genders of three of my ducks based on the sounds they make. One of them — a buff drake — I got from Metzer. The two Pekins and the Indian Runner I got from a feed store and have not been sexed. I think I’m tone deaf — can anyone tell from this video if any of them are hens? Thank you! The Pekins are seven weeks old and the runner is eight weeks.

Alice68

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2020
Los Angeles County
:welcome There's a lot of drake talking there. :oops: Early on I may have heard one 'quack', but you have at least 3 drakes.
Thanks for your response - there’s such an assortment of sounds from them that it’s confusing - and one of the pekins makes a sound that the other one doesn’t lol. The runner seems to change vocalizations daily.

Alice68

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2020
Los Angeles County
Ain't that the truth! This morning for the first time, my Indian Runner (called Fleur -- though possibly a Drake, oh well) sounded kind of like a train whistle. She also sounds like a chicken sometimes. When she was younger, around three weeks old, she had a temporary quack that disappeared. So that was weird.

One of my pekins grew much faster than the other one-- I'm pretty sure that one is a drake since they're from the same hatch. I had to give him extra niacin because his legs couldn't hold him up that long -- though sometimes from how the two of them sound at various times, I think I have it backwards. They're so entertaining and good natured, I don't mind if they're all drakes. I'd like to have eggs, but I don't eat eggs much anyway. I may get a female Buff from Metzer (the one they sent didn't make it a full day, sadly), but it will be a pain to make sure she's kept apart from them during mating season...we'll see....it's an adventure!

Top Bottom