Can 1 chicken lay 2 eggs ?

ladychicken&Ducklover

Songster
8 Years
May 21, 2011
Champion, Michigan
Ok , I know this may sound like a stupid question , but can 1 chicken lay 2 eggs within 1 sitting time?

I have 2 Barred Rocks which had their own nest boxes if they wanted them.

Each would lay 1 egg per day.

Lately, Emily has Not been in her own box because I've been finding now, 2 eggs in Lucy's box.

Just now I Heard the famous " egg song ", and once it stopped, there were 2 eggs!

I was gone most of the morning, so I don't know if Emily sneaked in there, laid her egg, jump down , the Lucy would jump in and lay hers next to the other.

I haven't witnessed Emily going into Lucy's box , but I don't know.
hu.gif

This is my 1st year with chickens, so pardon my ignorance.

You're not being ignorant. I've read on here that it is possible for a chicken to lay 2 eggs but don't count on it happening a lot.It will stop when their bodys figure out what's going on and they start laying on a regular basis

mine all share the same box...sometimes a different one will have one egg. I can catch 2 girls crammed into one...it is possible, but rare and won't continue if it did happen

It also could be that they were both in there at the same time. I have a picture I call 'double decker' hens! One was literally laying on top of the other to lay eggs in the same box. I have 3 nest boxes and they tend to lay in the same one or two.

We have 13 hens, two of them actually will lay two eggs at a time at least once a week. One is a "red star/comet/whatever" about 11/2 years old, and the other is my sweet black australorp who's at about 8 months. My black is a "house" chicken and the red is our "back porch" chicken, so they lay separate from our coop flock and lay compleatly different color/size eggs from each other.

One of my young black stars layed two eggs at the same time yesterday. I was across the yard and heard the "egg song" then I heard a bunch of unusual clucking and commotion and flapping around. It sounded like a chicken fight with one chicken. When I got across the yard my 5 other girls were in the run just calm as can be and my double yolk laying girl was stepping out of the nest box....wiping sweat from her brow hahaha

There was a double yolker and a smaller egg in the box. I know they were both hers.

Yep, its possible. Back in high school, I had 9 RIR-BSLs.
I checked the nest boxes before school and when I got home
About every 2 weeks I would get 10 eggs in one day.
7-8/day was normal, they were great birds.

Back
Top Bottom