Can 1 chicken lay 2 eggs ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ladychicken&Ducklover, Sep 13, 2011.

1. ladychicken&Ducklover

ladychicken&Ducklover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Champion, Michigan
    Ok , I know this may sound like a stupid question , but can 1 chicken lay 2 eggs within 1 sitting time?

I have 2 Barred Rocks which had their own nest boxes if they wanted them.

Each would lay 1 egg per day.

Lately, Emily has Not been in her own box because I've been finding now, 2 eggs in Lucy's box.

Just now I Heard the famous " egg song ", and once it stopped, there were 2 eggs!

I was gone most of the morning, so I don't know if Emily sneaked in there, laid her egg, jump down , the Lucy would jump in and lay hers next to the other.

I haven't witnessed Emily going into Lucy's box , but I don't know. [​IMG]

This is my 1st year with chickens, so pardon my ignorance.

2. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    You're not being ignorant. I've read on here that it is possible for a chicken to lay 2 eggs but don't count on it happening a lot.It will stop when their bodys figure out what's going on and they start laying on a regular basis

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    mine all share the same box...sometimes a different one will have one egg. I can catch 2 girls crammed into one...it is possible, but rare and won't continue if it did happen

4. goodridge_

goodridge_ Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    Pembrokeshire,Wales
    my leghorn layed early in the morning and layed another that evening. so it is possible.

5. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Quote:I had the same experience with new layers.

6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    It also could be that they were both in there at the same time. I have a picture I call 'double decker' hens! One was literally laying on top of the other to lay eggs in the same box. I have 3 nest boxes and they tend to lay in the same one or two.

7. I AM HE

I AM HE New Egg

May 10, 2014
    We have 13 hens, two of them actually will lay two eggs at a time at least once a week. One is a "red star/comet/whatever" about 11/2 years old, and the other is my sweet black australorp who's at about 8 months. My black is a "house" chicken and the red is our "back porch" chicken, so they lay separate from our coop flock and lay compleatly different color/size eggs from each other.

8. lylashappynana

lylashappynana New Egg

Apr 7, 2016
    One of my young black stars layed two eggs at the same time yesterday. I was across the yard and heard the "egg song" then I heard a bunch of unusual clucking and commotion and flapping around. It sounded like a chicken fight with one chicken. When I got across the yard my 5 other girls were in the run just calm as can be and my double yolk laying girl was stepping out of the nest box....wiping sweat from her brow hahaha

There was a double yolker and a smaller egg in the box. I know they were both hers.

9. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Yep, its possible. Back in high school, I had 9 RIR-BSLs.
    I checked the nest boxes before school and when I got home
    About every 2 weeks I would get 10 eggs in one day.
    7-8/day was normal, they were great birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by