Can 1 flock get used to 2 coops? need a chicken whisperer!!!

brahmamomma

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 19, 2012
hello, i have a very interesting yard lay out. i have my main yard fenced in that has the "main" coop within it. it is a 8x10 that we converted into a coop with a 8x10 run next to it. we leave the girls in there on days when both my husband and i work late and cant get home before dark to close them in. we have a little back section of our yard that we recently fenced in for the girls to free range that is about 150ftx150ft square. its a pretty huge piece, we decided to do this because we love having the girls free range but hate the crap all over our dogs feet and our shoes, not to mention if the nieces and nephews come over. so anyhow, my husband and i built a great little nesting box station that is elevated off the ground and i thought they would lay in there while the free range, but all they want to do is lay in their own coop so they gather at the back gate. SOOOOOO my question is, if we build something like a "summer cottage" in the back, that would be an actual coop, but alot smaller than their mc mansion coop, can they adjust and be comfortable in both places?

actually thinking the back section is even bigger than 150ft squared, but that doesnt matter. i just need to know if i invest in building another coop, if it will be used, otherwise it would be a total waste. even though, i could always get more chickens!!! lol :)

I would put a few eggs or golf balls(my girls are not fooled by golf balls though) in the new nest box just to let them know its ok to lay there. Our hens like to lay on the coop floor.i keep a clay egg i bought at hobby lobby in their box it helps.its funny watching me try to fish out the fake one lol

Back
Top Bottom