Can 2 clean legged birds produce feathered legs?

feathered legs are generally considered a dominant trait (except in one rare breed - I forget the name) , so for it to show up it would have to be expressed in the parent stock. it is possible that atavism is to blame, but it's rare.

The first pics are full body shots of Penguin, the chick I originally posted about. Then I have a few pics of Penguin next to his full sister (presumed female), Veronica Vaughn.

Feel free to also chime in if you think I’m correct or incorrect in my judgement regarding gender. Penguin has a larger comb and already has wattles. His posture is really upright and his legs & toes are wider, too.
I agree that Penguin is male. But I think "Veronica" looks male too.

I would wait a few more weeks to confirm genders before doing anything permanent (like culling or rehoming). I have occasionally butchered "males" that turned out to be female, so I know I can be wrong!

I agree that Penguin is male. But I think "Veronica" looks male too.

I would wait a few more weeks to confirm genders before doing anything permanent (like culling or rehoming). I have occasionally butchered "males" that turned out to be female, so I know I can be wrong!
Yea, I’m going to wait. For now, Veronica is one of the friendlier chicks, so I’m hoping to hang on “her.”

She is pretty bold, but she doesn’t have the same upright stance that Penguin has. Her comb is larger than the other chicks, but not as large as Penguin’s And she doesn’t have the wattles yet. She was the first chick to grow a tail. They’re so different, I feel that they can’t be the same gender, although clearly I don’t know a lot about chicken genetics. I do have two other “twins” from Charcoal and my SLW hen, and they are identical in every way except color (ones black, one is more brown). But they are the same size, same posture, same wing & tail development. I don’t have a gender guess, yet, but I think whatever they are, I think they’re the same.

That’s funny because I actually wanted a splash laced. They look so beautiful online. I guess each one is a little different.

Velma does have great coloring, but unfortunately that’s her only good quality. She’s almost perpetually broody, and even broody jail doesn’t work for her. She hates chicks and won’t raise them, so she’s basically a glorified incubator (and not all that reliable either). She’s a bully to young chickens, and when she’s broody-ish she’s a B to most all the hens. And now she makes feather-legged babies, which I don’t want, lol.

So if you want her and you’re near Maryland, you’re welcome to her!

I'm in the UK, sorry! Here is mine, who sadly died earlier this year when a predator got her 😢. She also went broody a lot!
20210702_185045.jpg

Back
Top Bottom