Can 29 3.5 week old chicks go in to the coop if there is a heat lamp?

jendodd79

Songster
7 Years
Aug 20, 2012
Our temperatures at night right now are around 40F

The chicks have totally outgrown their 2 watermelon boxes and have started to fly out this morning. The coop will be completely finished today. If we set the heat lamp up in there, can we move them out there?

The coop is 4ftX8ft well ventilated. but protected from wind and rain and has a roost that now I know they could get on, lol.

Thanks!

I forgot to mention that I have 2 heat lamps available to me each with a 250watt bulb

If you can provide adequate heat with the lamp(s) they'll be fine.

Well they are out tonight for the first time! We put both 250 watt heat lamps in there, and made a little area under with the bottom half of a dog crate, so they could go in for a little more warmth if needed. The coop is 4X8 feet, so if it gets too warm under the lamps, they can move away. Our coop has a window, that matches up with the window in our mud room, so we can peek out at them often. They seem to be happy 6 hours in! We have one little teeny one that only has wing feathers as opposed to the others that are already getting their head feathers, so I'm most worried about it - but as long as it stays under the lamps, it should be OK!

Back
Top Bottom