Can 3 be a flock?

IzzyMom

Songster
7 Years
May 17, 2012
New Mexico
We currently have four 9 wk. old's in our flock. Two roos (1-Silkie Bantam, 1-Red Cochin Bantam), and two hens (1-Buff Orp. and 1-Sussex). In July our Cochin Bantam will be going to live at a friends house, which will leave us just 3.

We had originally asked a friend who raises chickens if we could purchase one of her hens (currently 16 weeks old) to help round out our flock.

After reading the articles on "Introducing new chickens" - I'm not so sure I want to do that. My husband and I both work, and I can't guarantee that the quaranteen ideals can be kept up by our two teenage daughters. (Yes, this is our first flock and we've raised them from peepers.

Can our three live peacably without adding a 3rd hen? Was this an old wives tale that I was taught about there needing to be 3 hens for a Roo to be happy??? Can two hens lay enough eggs to support a family of four?? (well, 3 - one of our daughters hates eggs)?? Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

Here is a current picture of our brood....

2 Hens and one roo should work just fine. And depending on how often you want to eat eggs 2 hens should manage. I heard BO's lay very well.

Back
Top Bottom