Can 3 lovebirds live together?

SillyChick

Songster
12 Years
Dec 15, 2007
Hello

A relative of mine gave me a lovebird, but only one and without a pair. I'm thinking of buying another one for the lone bird, but the pet store only sells by pair. Is it ok for 3 lovebirds to live together, or will they fight each other for a partner?

Thanks in advance!

I've never kept more than 2 together at a time, I'd say find a petstore that will sell just one. I'm sure others will chime in...

They live in HUGE flocks in the wild, but I don;t know how 3 would fare in captivity, depending on the sexes of the birds, there could be trouble. But you can always seperate them if someone gets picked on. I would google lovebirds and see what breeders and owners have to say on the subject.... the internet is a very good source of info.

Good luck!

Lovebirds make better pets when you have just one of them. With two they bond to each other and not there owner. If you want more info or need help I have 10years with hook bills and can help you any way you need of point you in the right area to look.

Three would be fine together in most cases. you just have to be VERY careful when introducing them. I would recommend getting them all the same sex though. Two males may fight over one female. Two females and one male would be fine.

HOWEVER, I do not recommend getting any other lovebirds if this one is intended to be a pet. Once you introduce more (Especially if they are females) they will almost always get nasty towards humans. Males are more tame and won't jump out of the cage to attack, but females WILL. LOL, and they sure can be painful! Also, a pair of lovebirds will breed and breed and breed. For some that could be a problem.

If you do decide to get a third, try not to buy it from a pet store. See if you can find a breeder, or better yet adopt. So many lovebirds end up without homes because people don't realize what kind of pets they actually are.

Good luck and if you have any more questions feel free to ask! I work in an exotic bird sanctuary and have experience with almost all types of parrots, large and small.

I know I'm talking about a whole other bird (I have waxbills) - but when I introduced a new female to my bonded pair, everything was fine UNTIL they started laying. Once the female of the bonded pair was laying/brooding, they both went vicious towards the new female and she had to be removed.

I'm going to chime in with the "one lovebird is perfectly fine!" folks here.

More than one will bond with each other and then get nasty toward you. A single one will bond with you.

I had a single lovebird for many, many years. They thing had all sorts of weird health issues, but one thing the vet always commented on was how happy and content he always looked! I think it was because he was an only bird (pre-children era of my life) and got ALL the attention ALL the time.

Cricket was a real sweetheart. I miss ya buddy...

keeping 3 lovies together didn't work so well for me. The bonded pair will keep to them selfs and beat up the third bird if it tries to come closer.......
Not very nice to see poor Slate being chased by Bug and Dutchie, and they will corner him and tear his feathers out and bite his feet.
I think a flock situation would work if you have an even number of birds, so everyone has a buddy they are devoted to.

Last edited:
Hello, 3 lovebirds in a non breeding situation will do fine together, BUT if you are intending on breeding them you will want even numbers. The reason for this is because when they go to breed the lone bird will want to intrude on the nest and they will fight with the lone birds getting the blunt of the damage. So if you just have a cage with 3 as pets they will be fine.

I don't have 3 lovebirds but I have been thinking about getting a 3rd. I now have 2 and I want to disagree with the people who say that if you have 2 they won't bond with you. My 2 birds of which I am unsure of their sex, are both very close to each other and to me. One of them comes when called and they both sit on my shoulders and head. They both give me kisses and run up to me when I approach their cage. Maybe my birds are an exception, but I believe that closeness depends on how much time you spend with them and if you start when they are young. My birds are now 3 months old and I got them from a girl who purchased them from a breeder that hand raised them. If you want a tame pet, that really is the only way to go. Most birds from pet stores have never been handled and are therefore hard if not impossible to tame and train. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom