can 4 males who get along great be added to another flock?

I’m not sure what you mean by golden, usually when I see someone say golden they are referring to Italian or manchurian, which are speckled birds with a yellowy background. But I recently saw someone identify an Egyptian or scarlet bird as golden.

If you are referring to golden Italian or manchurian, the gene is incompletely dominant. Since he is pharaoh, he does not have Italian, but if you pair him with an Italian hen, she can pass it on. There’s a lot of detail in the Italian gene, which I won’t get into.

If the color you mean is roux (scarlet or Egyptian), then he can carry the gene unseen, and if his father was roux colored he will be a carrier of one copy. Roux is recessive in males, but in females, inheriting one copy makes them that color, so it acts like a dominant gene.

If you have a roux male, you can create sex link chicks that can be gendered at hatch. Mating a roux male to a hen that is not roux (most people will pair with pharaoh or Tibetan hens, but there are a number of combos) will result in all roux offspring being female and all non roux being male.
Their golden manchurians
20210312_122639.jpg

20210128_161104.jpg

First pic is of the sons, second is the dad of this whole lot.

The one I'm keeping is this guy below
20210306_134851.jpg

Hes very red. Across his back too. my other Pharoahs have have a more grey/brown tint and this guy is strongly red/brown. Not sure what gene that might be but hes also got a few white primaries And a few white tufts on his back.

20210306_134715.jpg
20210306_134728.jpg

Their golden manchurians
View attachment 2575319

View attachment 2575316
First pic is of the sons, second is the dad of this whole lot.

The one I'm keeping is this guy below
View attachment 2575320
Hes very red. Across his back too. my other Pharoahs have have a more grey/brown tint and this guy is strongly red/brown. Not sure what gene that might be but hes also got a few white primaries And a few white tufts on his back.

View attachment 2575334View attachment 2575335
He’s very interesting, he doesn’t have typical wild patterning down his back, but sometimes that becomes more apparent with age. I’d say his lack of cream/white pattern on his back is indicative of his dads input. Normally if you cross a manchurian to something else, the offspring will all have Italian characteristics, speckles, or sometimes like a reverse Italian with dark coloring speckled with light spots. Your guys strongly favor pharaohs, a very attractive mix.

I can't help here because I don't know anything about quail, but I would like to say that I didn't realize that this was the quail forum and was SO confused

I have three males that get along 90% of the time so far. There are females around them in other cages, but they have a pecking order and get along most of the time. The biggest one is named Zeus and he puts everyone in their place. One of the males tried to upend the pecking order and Zeus nearly scalped him (not trying to be offensive, he literally pulled skin off his head). I took the little guy and put him in a separate cage. When he was all healed up he kept sticking his head out towards the boy’s cage and I finally gave in and put him back. Zeus mounted him to show his dominance and there haven’t been any injuries since.
Our quail hatched on Nov. 23. I’ve read a lot and I keep expecting them to kill each other, but nope.

I have three males that get along 90% of the time so far. There are females around them in other cages, but they have a pecking order and get along most of the time. The biggest one is named Zeus and he puts everyone in their place. One of the males tried to upend the pecking order and Zeus nearly scalped him (not trying to be offensive, he literally pulled skin off his head). I took the little guy and put him in a separate cage. When he was all healed up he kept sticking his head out towards the boy’s cage and I finally gave in and put him back. Zeus mounted him to show his dominance and there haven’t been any injuries since.
Our quail hatched on Nov. 23. I’ve read a lot and I keep expecting them to kill each other, but nope.
Just give them time. They’ll get there. Especially when the weather gets warm, you will definitely notice an uptick in “incidents” unless you’re really lucky.

Back
Top Bottom