Male quail getting bullied?

RoosterHuggerLiz

Songster
Dec 27, 2020
I was having an issue with my to quail hens where one would bully the other and pluck the feathers from her scalp, I was told to get a male to put with my girls to hopefully establish a proper pecking order. By the time I got this male, my hens were already laying and almost 3 months old, the mail was only about 3 to 4 weeks old so I introduced them slowly- he's 9 weeks now. He had a bloody featherless spot on his head now and idk why? They have an 8 sqft cage so plenty enough room for all three of them-

He has an over bite so maybe he can't fight back? The head spot isn't that bad yet but I wanna fix the issue ASAP

Do your birds have plenty of hiding places?
Yep! Also problem solved- rats got into my coop and killed my two females but JARED SURVIVED! Upset about my girls but I think I might keep Jared as an inside pet from now on. I don't think I'll be getting more, quail are just to violent for me.

Yep! Also problem solved- rats got into my coop and killed my two females but JARED SURVIVED! Upset about my girls but I think I might keep Jared as an inside pet from now on. I don't think I'll be getting more, quail are just to violent for me.
Rats are violent.
Quail...not so much.

You might want to consider getting another male if you only have the one left. Two males are likely to get along when there are no females around. Quail aren't happy by themselves.

You might want to consider getting another male if you only have the one left. Two males are likely to get along when there are no females around. Quail aren't happy by themselves.
Hatched out my lost lady's eggs today, they're so tiny! I'm planning on keeping the males with him separate from the females until I want to breed them :)

Back
Top Bottom