Can a 3 week old silky have broody instincts?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by The Sheriff, Nov 16, 2009.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    We mixed our week old bantams in the brooder with three week old silkies. One of the bantam cochins in particular was trying to find himself a Momma and was getting tormented by the silkies. I took him out for awhile to settle things down. When I put him back in, one of the blue silkies gathered them all up in a corner and is warming them and fighting off the enemies. It's about the cutest thing I have ever seen. I may not have to give away the little pest after all.

Just wondering if you old time chicken people know if this is possible?

[​IMG]

She's even protecting them from the Less-Than-Divine Miss M!

[​IMG]

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I guess it could happen.... not common but I suppose it could. Cute pictures!

3. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    our EE's that we got from the kindergarden hatch project had a day old leghorn added in when they were about a week old... and all of them huddled around her to keep her warm... it was about the cutest thing...

keep an eye on that one.... and let us know if the instinct sticks and she goes broody first thing...

4. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    An Internet friend of mine who breeds Silkies says that even her babies take care of other breed babies. We were discussing her sending chicks to me and she mentioned putting a few older Silkie chicks in to take care of the babies on the way and keep them eating. Her birds are supposed to be VERY maternal:)

5. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    I had a speckled sussex chick AND a welsummer chick that hovered every little bird you'd put in with them. They are SO cute, babies cuddling the babies!

6. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I had a splash OEGB do that with older quail chicks. I was so sure I had a potential broody hen...until he started crowing.

7. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by