Can a bantam be kept with standards she was raised with?

RoosterHuggerLiz

Songster
Dec 27, 2020
Earlier tonight 17 of my chickens were slaughtered by raccoons and I only have 3 left. Of those three I have a leghorn/RIR cross, a buff orpington, and my darling sea bright which I am so very thankful she survived! They're all hens and they've been kept together for the past 3 years but now that the rest of my flock hasn't slaughtered I'm afraid my two larger hens will pick on my little Sea Bright. I've never had a problem with In fighting before and these three have always gotten along, sharing the top bar because they where top of the pecking order. I used to have a separate bantam flock until they were massacred by the same raccoons, taco my darling sea bright, was never part of that bantam flock because of a mix up when I bought her. Was raised with my other standard hens.

Should I sperate them or should I wait and see?

If it were me, I think I’d choose to wait and see how it goes. They’re traumatized and will not do well being separated… in my opinion. You mention that they’ve always been together, so I’d leave them that way. Also, you need to find a really solid solution to protect your 3 surviving hens. Raccoons will not stop until all of your chickens are gone. I’m very sorry to hear that you’ve had such huge losses. 😞 I have Sebright and Buff Orpington hens, and they are wonderful. Good wishes for the safety of your remaining girls.

Earlier tonight 17 of my chickens were slaughtered by raccoons and I only have 3 left. Of those three I have a leghorn/RIR cross, a buff orpington, and my darling sea bright which I am so very thankful she survived! They're all hens and they've been kept together for the past 3 years but now that the rest of my flock hasn't slaughtered I'm afraid my two larger hens will pick on my little Sea Bright. I've never had a problem with In fighting before and these three have always gotten along, sharing the top bar because they where top of the pecking order. I used to have a separate bantam flock until they were massacred by the same raccoons, taco my darling sea bright, was never part of that bantam flock because of a mix up when I bought her. Was raised with my other standard hens.

Omgosh so sorry to hear about the massacre of your flock. This is the first year for me raising a flock. But my gut says keep everyone together at least for a while.

You need to work on fortifying your coop and run. Getting hit twice should never happen. Once is enough.
My bantam flock was massacred in a different coop, coons ripped the wood panels off the wall and got in that way. On this one it looks like they dug in from my nabors yard? Absolutely massive so it wouldn't surprise me if they had pushed the stone square on the coop floor out of the way while trying to get inside. For now my last hens are being kept in the garage but tomorrow Ill look into cementing the floor of the coop to insure this never happens again.

I personally have not had any issues with my bantam being with larger chickens. I had a friend stop at TSC and pick some chicks up on his way back from town & he accidentally was given a bantam. She fits in just fine and actually holds her own ground. I would watch for anything super aggressive and if needed separate her. Maybe in the spring get her a bantam friend, unless you live somewhere warm or are willing to have chicks in the house.

She should be okay.
So sorry about your chickens! :hugs
Stupid Raccoon! 😡 That's why everytime I catch them in my live trap I either relocate or I will just shoot them. Most of the time relocate. It depends how many chickens he murdered and didn't even eat!

I'm sorry that happened. You should definetly fix any holes the racoons could get back in. I have a seperate flock of Seramas, but I do keep a couple bantam hens in with my large fowl and they do fine

Back
Top Bottom