1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can a Banty Roo Breed With A Standard Hen???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Elena712, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Elena712

Elena712 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    On A Farm
    Ok so I found a Listing on Craigslist for two Black-Cochin Banty Roos for free, and we're thinking about getting them for Protection and A leader, So, Is it possible for a Banty Roo and a Standard hen to Breed?

2. xxSonja

xxSonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    Absolutly.
    Mine did, Now Ive got weird fuzzy footed frankenstien chicks running around the place...

3. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    Mixes are great.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Depends on if she stands up too fast or not.

Okay, sorry. But yes, bantam roosters can breed with standard hens. It's pretty funny to watch, but they can accomplish the deed.

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Yes, a bantam rooster can breed with a standard hen, but he may find it a challenge to get his part properly lined up with the hens' parts, so you may not have the highest fertility in their eggs. And the chicks that result will probably be mid-sized, which may or may not be a problem for you. Mixed-breed chickens are great, but if you prefer full-sized birds to lay large eggs, don't get a bantam roo for a sire.

Also, while bantam roos will diligently husband hens of any size, I don't think that roosters are really effective as protectors. They're good at noticing danger and giving the warning signal, but most are quick to then run for cover as fast or faster than the hens. Few will stand back and try to fight off a predator, bantam roos would be even less likely to do so.

How many hens do you have? Remember that an ideal ratio is 1 rooster to 10-12 hens. Bantam roos will be less likely to wear out their hens so you may be able to get away with having more.

6. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    our banty cochin roo was very protective of his ladies. we came home one night to find him in the doorway of the coop battling a raccoon !!!! he stayed between his flock and the coon we lost him in the end but he saved everybody else he was a great roo If he was waiting outside the coop I knew I had a bird missing and then he would show me where it was.
    [​IMG]

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Muddyhorse, that is a great testimonial for a terrific little rooster, I'm sorry he had to go. But in my experience roos like that are the exception rather than the rule. All the roosters I have or have known would never try and do battle with a predator and show little/no interest in their fallen comrades.

8. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Quote:This made me tear up! He sacrificed his life for them. Hopefully you got a few babies from him. What a great little bird.

9. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Muddy horse he was one awesome rooster!! I have a blue copper marans roo that does the same thing. He will not go into the coop at night until all the others are in and then he sits in the doorway until I come and lock it up. If there is a hen missing he won't go in either. When predators come, he makes sure all the others go into the coop including other roosters and then he stands in the doorway squawking. I love him to peices. I bet you miss your good roo alot.

Yep banty roos have no problem with the big girls. I have a layer pen of 15 various breeds of hens and only one bantam rooster in that pen (he was supposed to be a girl lol) . He services all those ladies on a regular basis, even the light brahma hens twice his size lol.

10. cheri222

cheri222 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Erie PA
    My poor silkie boy has no luck with the big girls. He does the cutest happy feet dance for them, jumps on and they toss him to the ground and walk away. Of course we all sit and watch cuz its just so funny. But later this week I am expecting 2 girlfriends for him. And during our hawk attack last week, he was the first one in the coop. That will teach those nasty girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by