Can a bob white breed a coturnix?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by franken farm, Jan 25, 2014.

1. franken farm

franken farm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2013
    Burlison tn
    I was thinking about trying to cross breed a Bob with a coturnix . Would that be possible ?

2. buttonquailtx

buttonquailtx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    Texas
    Yes they can breed. The result is a Bob bird, if I remember correctly. The resulting offspring will be infertile tho

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's not really humane. The species don't like each other so you have to force them to breed by keeping them in close quarters. It's likely you will end up with a beat or dead hen(s) in the process as wells.

4. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    This is the 2nd time in 2 weeks this type of question was asked, so here is a link to a "scientific" study on inter-species breeding of quail. Their results weren't very promising. And I tried really hard to go back and line the columns up, but I think the thread is locked as I can't go back and edit my response.

As you can see, "Old World Quail" weren't utilized in the study. But if the New World Quail had such low fertility rates, I can't imagine that swapping out the Coturnix for the California or Gambels quail would change the results.

The second link in this thread (the word "link") goes to another forum where a member makes a very interesting statement when it comes to bobwhite & Coturnix breeding. His statement and the 2 responses "should" end the attempts to create a hybrid quail.

Again, this is the 3rd time in 3 months that this type of question has been asked, and I really wish it would end the discussion on trying to create a hybrid quail, but again, I know it won't.
    James

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by