Can a brand new layer lay two eggs at once?

elizabethlongwood

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 24, 2010
longwood, florida
We got our first egg from a 22 week old pullet on Friday afternoon. Yay!!! Then on Sunday morning, my husband discovered another egg that looked just like the first one but next to it about 6-7" away was a soft-shelled slightly darker and bigger egg. We assume that another girl also just started laying, but no one else has been squatting or hanging out in the henhouse like our first layer Daisy. Could they both be from her, or is that not possible? No eggs since then so we're pretty perplexed.

I have a RIR that lays one egg a day for two days, then takes a day off.

Since you did not indicate if you checked for eggs on Saturday, I would venture a guess that is was your current laying hen that laid the eggs.

My leghorn laid her first eggs this morning... 2 of them. One on top of the nesting box, the other on the floor of the run.

I know they were both hers because she's the only one exhibiting laying maturity and behavior. My girls are all 21-25 weeks, the oldest being the EE. I hope she lays soon because I can't wait to see what color shells she produces.

new layers can lay two eggs. My speckeled sussex pullet laid 2 soft shelled eggs within 10 minutes of each other in her first week of laying. I saw it happen while she was eating at 6 in the evening. She sure looked surprised ! It's been 2-3 weeks and she seems to have sorted herself out to one small egg every second day.... (thank goodness the shells are normal now, she laid soft eggs in the night off and on for about a week)

Hope folks don't mind if I revive an old thread! I have one white leghorn who has been laying for about a week and a half. Another leghorn is getting close. The first leghorn has laid one small, perfect egg per day since she started laying. But today, instead of her small, perfect egg, I found two soft-shelled eggs that had been laid on the poop board below the roosts (she usually lays in the nesting box. One was broken. They both had yolks. Could the first leghorn have laid both of these eggs? Or is it more likely that a second leghorn also started laying, and they just happened to both lay rubber eggs on the poop board within 10 inches of each other?

Can you, or would you eat soft-shelled eggs?

Back
Top Bottom