Can a broody hen with eggs be moved?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nashonii, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Nashonii

Nashonii Chillin' With My Peeps

As a person new to chickens, I set the nesting box for the hen I bought (and was told was broody) 4 ft. above the floor, so she would be with her mate and coop mate, to entice her to go broody sooner. I was thinking she might be too nervous in a new home to start brooding. Well, it worked! We have had them 3 weeks and she is setting on her egg! (Second day!) Yeepee!
    Now the problem. Can I move she and her egg down to the floor (so the young one won't fall once he starts walking,) without bothering her broodiness? Please tell me how.
    We have built a separate pen for breeding and broody hens, but haven't' finished it yet. It will have a fence around it to keep the dogs away until the chicks are less interesting.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    In my experience, most hens will freak out when moved. This can also break their broodiness. A hen will not normally take the chicks off the nest for a couple of days. For that reason, I let them sit wherever they choose, then once the babies hatch, move the hen, babies and any unhatched eggs at night to a safer location.

The exception, of course, is if they are brooding in an unsafe area - like outside the coop where predators can get them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by