Can a cat break into a chicken coop?

I have two cats,both outdoors. They give my chicken (even chicks) respect. Never had a problem and I know one is a good enough hunter to bring home a squirrel! But I had a hen squawk one day and my roo was sure the cat laying in the sun was the problem and jumped the cat! Sent him packing!:lol:

I have two cats,both outdoors. They give my chicken (even chicks) respect. Never had a problem and I know one is a good enough hunter to bring home a squirrel! But I had a hen squawk one day and my roo was sure the cat laying in the sun was the problem and jumped the cat! Sent him packing!:lol:

0f0915938c.png

Really?

Yeah.. my cats and all of the cats in the neighborhood give the chickens wide range. I think because the hens move around like they own the place. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Hardware cloth is about ? $25 maybe $20 at TSC for a roll. Grab a stable gun and just staple it on over your chicken wire. I bought a cheap staple gun at walmart for about $5 and love it because it is light and doesn't make my hands hurt like the more heavy duty ones. You might also need to pick up a pair of wire cutters to cut the hardware cloth to fit. A very easy quick project and I have NO skills. Cute coop!

You might even have enough scrap pieces to tack to the bottom and put the pavers on top of it you are worried about digging predators.
Depending on how tall your pen is, this roll of HC could wrap a pen about 10'x15', not counting the top. It's only 4 feet tall, so if you have a walk-in pen count on 2 rolls for the sides and another roll for the top. There are other rolls that are bigger and may be cheaper per foot. Just search for "hardware cloth".
Can you put a price on peace
of mind?

I lost my favorite Buff Orpington to a starving feral Tomcat last year in September. It was the one night I didn't get the coop door shut before dark. It made me very sad at the time because this hen would actually come into the coop and sing for me while I was gathering eggs. But I actually ended up adopting the cat afterward because he was just so pitiful. And now a year later he is a beautiful, healthy cat who has helped keep the mice population in check. I have come a long way in life because the younger version of myself would have not given the cat another chance.

Back
Top Bottom