Can a cat break into a chicken coop?

Yeah.. my cats and all of the cats in the neighborhood give the chickens wide range. I think because the hens move around like they own the place. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Hardware cloth is about ? $25 maybe $20 at TSC for a roll. Grab a stable gun and just staple it on over your chicken wire. I bought a cheap staple gun at walmart for about $5 and love it because it is light and doesn't make my hands hurt like the more heavy duty ones. You might also need to pick up a pair of wire cutters to cut the hardware cloth to fit. A very easy quick project and I have NO skills. Cute coop!
...you are a genius.
I have experience building, and I have never thought to use a staple gun. I've always tacked the wire in by hammering poultry staples. Takes a while and is hard when I get to odd angles.

If you use staples, I would advise using heavy duty staples with a professional stapler to sink them. Even using T-50 staples you want to use at least 3/8" staples and a good (professional) gun to dive them. Cheap staple guns lack the fire power to sink even small 3/8". Even with the 3/8 (as opposed to 9/16)you would want to sink them every foot or closer, otherwise a coon will just grab the HC and rip it off the wood like a bandaid.

It's not just about the strength of the fabric you cover your coop with, but also how well that fabric is attached to the coop framework.
:old

I don't have any cats but do occasionally see them at night on a game camera. So far they haven't bothered my birds. I did catch a couple of them in my live traps when I was after a fox. I think they were feral cats. They weren't friendly at all. I released them.

Back
Top Bottom