Can a change in food mess up egg laying?

mpgo4th

Songster
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
I added 4 new 6 week olds to my 1 year old laying flock about a week ago. I didn't want them eating layer feed so I switched everyone over to flock raiser to make feed ing safer and simple for me. Ever since I have been getting fewer eggs and at least one messed up shaped or soft spotted egg a day. Some days I only get an egg from half the birds. I have a dish of oyster shell out and they are eating it but the eggs are not what they used to be before the food switch. Should I give it more time to see if its the food or just the new comers that are messing this up.

foreverlearning

Songster
6 Years
Aug 4, 2013
Yes, it can. It will correct itself shortly but chickens don't like any change and the stress reduces the eggs for a short time. Just give it time.

mpgo4th

Songster
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Yes, it probably has something to do with the food, but I wouldn't switch it, because layer feed can be harmful to your younger birds. Is there a way you could feed twice a day, and separate them during those times, giving each a different kind of food?
I could feed twice a day but they are in a 25x25 ft pen together. I think the layers would finish off their food and go eat the little ones food too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom