Can a change in food mess up egg laying?

mpgo4th

Songster
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
I added 4 new 6 week olds to my 1 year old laying flock about a week ago. I didn't want them eating layer feed so I switched everyone over to flock raiser to make feed ing safer and simple for me. Ever since I have been getting fewer eggs and at least one messed up shaped or soft spotted egg a day. Some days I only get an egg from half the birds. I have a dish of oyster shell out and they are eating it but the eggs are not what they used to be before the food switch. Should I give it more time to see if its the food or just the new comers that are messing this up.

Yes, it can. It will correct itself shortly but chickens don't like any change and the stress reduces the eggs for a short time. Just give it time.

Yes, it probably has something to do with the food, but I wouldn't switch it, because layer feed can be harmful to your younger birds. Is there a way you could feed twice a day, and separate them during those times, giving each a different kind of food?
I could feed twice a day but they are in a 25x25 ft pen together. I think the layers would finish off their food and go eat the little ones food too.

Back
Top Bottom