Can a chick live with a bent toe?

I'd go out super early in the morning and see how it's going. Might be worth raising it yourself with one of its siblings.
I’m going to check on it first thing in the morning, and will also go and get clear medical tape, hoping that if it’s less visible, they might peck less at it. The first splints were white medical tape, but it was too hard to get off, so today I used bandaids instead. Maybe if it’s something clear, it would be easier to (visually) ignore…

Guys! Clear bandaids is the way to go! Barely visible, especially when walking through shavings! I have high hopes that this is going to save the day. The chick is ignoring the new splint, and so are the mom and the sibling. I’ll keep checking on them throughout the day, but this is looking so much better already!

4112A897-B3A8-4ECF-9280-A14D50A326F2.jpeg

75F4939D-9E8C-4856-8611-2CC63C9185B0.jpeg

F206952D-01E2-43CF-8B1F-57722AF36B5D.jpeg

I think you're doing the right thing! I have a grown chicken I got at six months old with bent toes on each foot-they aren't bent under but they do give her trouble with roosting (she can but she takes a while to get settled) and she has a really hard time with the ramp on our coop-its fairly long and she falls off trying to get up on it often. I wish someone had fixed her toes when she was a chick

Update: About a day or two after I put the clear bandaid splint on, I noticed that it had fallen off. And the chick's toe was straight and normal! Now all of its toes look normal, and it's running around being a little chick without problems and, importantly, without being bullied. The adoptive mom is taking great care of it and its sibling. I have another broody with chicks of the same age, and the two families were separated at first, but yesterday I brought them together and they are getting along really well. Each set of babies still goes under their own mom to sleep or warm up, but other than that, both hens feed and mother all of the babies. So the story really has a happy ending, despite the earlier setbacks.

A0283992-6954-48CB-88DA-59C2F8EB58BA.jpeg

44C2E264-C725-49A5-B0B4-40C9039A4610.jpeg

C6B910CB-5959-427D-9BB7-05C9588E2B16.jpeg

B8DD3E6C-50F2-4450-BA78-5876160C8ECE.jpeg

It's the one on the right, last to go under the hen:

Update: About a day or two after I put the clear bandaid splint on, I noticed that it had fallen off. And the chick's toe was straight and normal! Now all of its toes look normal, and it's running around being a little chick without problems and, importantly, without being bullied. The adoptive mom is taking great care of it and its sibling. I have another broody with chicks of the same age, and the two families were separated at first, but yesterday I brought them together and they are getting along really well. Each set of babies still goes under their own mom to sleep or warm up, but other than that, both hens feed and mother all of the babies. So the story really has a happy ending, despite the earlier setbacks.

View attachment 3132396

View attachment 3132399

View attachment 3132398

View attachment 3132397

It's the one on the right, last to go under the hen:
WOOHOO!!!! Well done! :)))))

Back
Top Bottom