Can a chicken die from hanging upside down?

Thank you all so much for the kind condolences, words of wisdom and advice. It's so nice to be able to turn to people who understand that chickens are more than just egg producers and a protein source!

Perhaps tethering your roosters is not the safest way to protect them from each other.

Janinepeters, you are probably correct. There may be better ways to keep them separated, but I can't think of any that are practical for me or I would do it. People who keep game breeds have used tethering as a common method of securing roosters for many years.

I suggest either moving your chickens away from trees with low branches or shortening the rope so they cannot fly high enough to perch.

Dolly85, you are also correct. However, a lack of shade in the hot summer would certainly kill every one of them! I left the branch there because it provided valuable shade for him. Besides, he's been under that tree for most of his life and he only tried to roost in the branch occasionally (meaning approximately 3 or 4 times, total). And this was not usually a problem because I am not usually away from home for more than an hour or two at a time. I work form home and can usually keep a close eye on my flock throughout the day. Yesterday was very unusual circumstances for me, and I wish with all my heart that I had thought to move him somewhere safer for the day!

The answer is YES. And I do know it to be correct. I have a friend who lost a rooster because he forgot to trim his spurs and he found him hanging upside down by one of his spurs in the morning dead. Chickens cant breath correctly when they are hanging upside down. Then all the added stress.....

Tiki244, WOW! That is just incredible! Maybe now I can finally say I've heard it all??????? I had pretty much concluded the same as you until I spoke with my Dad. He's been around awhile and he recounted to me how as a youth, he would deliver chickens to the market by tying their legs together and carrying them upside down by their legs the entire 4 or 5 miles. It would have taken him at least an hour or two to make the trip and he said the chickens were always fine. He suggested that perhaps my boy got up there earlier in the day when the sun was boiling down and the COD was heatstroke.

It seems the only way to know for sure is necropsy and I don't have the money for that. But, thank you all again for your input interest.​

No idea. But I'm sorry for your loss. He's beautiful.
hit.gif
hugs.gif

Sorry to hear about your rooster. I was looking online and found this because the same thing just happens to my laying hen today. She was on top of her food holder and her leg got caught between that and her perch and she was hanging upside down. I was outside an hour prior and she was totally fine. So it happened sometime in the last hour and she was perfectly healthy:eek:(

Chickens, like us and other upright animals, are not made to hang upside down for prolonged periods. The vascular system is set up to circulate the blood in an upright position, and pressure on the lungs will decrease oxygenation. So hanging upside down usually leads first to loss of consciousness, then death. So sorry about your rooster, he was very handsome.

Hi, I'm new here. But I have a question. I have two game roosters that i rescued. And today Albert some how got stuck on the side on the pen. Upside down hanging from his spurs. He's alive, but I'm in total anxiety now. I checked to see if he broke any legs. Their good. He was able to walk around. But I'm still pretty worried. He was not hanging upside down for long. Because I was in and out of the house and I would of noticed. So, my question is he gonna be OK. Either though he hung upside for a few minutes?

Hi, I'm new here. But I have a question. I have two game roosters that i rescued. And today Albert some how got stuck on the side on the pen. Upside down hanging from his spurs. He's alive, but I'm in total anxiety now. I checked to see if he broke any legs. Their good. He was able to walk around. But I'm still pretty worried. He was not hanging upside down for long. Because I was in and out of the house and I would of noticed. So, my question is he gonna be OK. Either though he hung upside for a few minutes?

Welcome to BYC. If he is walking around, it sounds like he will probably be alright. Make sure that he is eating and drinking, and seems alert and active. I had a pullet catch a foot in the handle of a metal waterer, and hung there upside down for a bit. She probably thrashed around which can cause damage to bones, but was limp when we found her. She was fine, but we found her in time. Chickens can get ijnto some bad predicaments. We have to look out for any danger in the coop and run. Good luck to your Albert.

Last edited:
Thank you. When I found him he was conscious. And didn't fuss at all when I unhooked him. Just alittle dizzy? But yes I plan to keep and eye out on him. And see if he's OK in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom