Can a chicken die of a broken heart?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kaitie09, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    Yesterday, our oldest chicken passed away. There were no injuries, and there was nothing wrong with her. Today, I found her daughter had died. Again, no injuries, and it look like she just layed down and died. The mother was 8, and the daughter was 7, so they were getting up there in age. She was near the bottom of the pecking order and followed mom around all the time.

The other guys look fine, no weight loss, all eating good, and no pale combs or puffed up birds. I have 2 more of her daughters, but they both are fine.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I have heard of that happening before. Two best buddies, one dies then the next day the other dies. Don't know if they had the same thing or if the second dies of a broken heart, but it does happen.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    How sad! Stress can kill birds. I wonder if this would cause enough stress to have caused her death.

So sorry for your losses.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've had dogs die of grieving. I dont see why a chicken shouldnt either. Sorry for both your losses.

5. terryg

terryg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    New England
    Chickens that look perfectly fine on the outside are often riddled with disease on the inside. This is especially true with old birds. I know this because I have learned how to do home necropsies. I have not believed what I've seen inside my old girls! There are many things that cause hens to die, that have no obvious symptoms, including heart and liver failure to ascites. Stress, of course, always contributes. She is fortunate that she had a long (most hens are dead well before their 7th birthday) and well-loved life and died quickly without suffering.

6. Silkie Chick

Silkie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

:( That is so sad... So very sorry for your loss.

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    So sorry to hear about your loss. :hugs

I believe that chickens can die of a broken heart just like any other living being. I think animals have feelings too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by