Can a Chicken Eat Toooo Much?

JaciesCoop

Songster
12 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Arizona
I have 4 cochin pullets. A little over 4 mos old. They all eat well but my black never stops! She eats and eats and eats. And she is the smallest of the bunch. Can they overeat?

Quote:

I don't believe it's a worm problem. They have never shown signs of any and I just wormed them about a month ago.
She is my sweetest one and comes right to me at any time but she just loves to eat and the first thing she checks out is my hands to see if I'm carrying anything. When the others finish they go sit on the roost or do the dust bath thing and she is still eating!!!

I was just afraid she might overeat.

She sounds like such a sweetie. If she doesn't balloon out she's probably just a lucky one who can eat and eat without too much weight gain - if contagious, I'll like to catch what she has!

It's ok for your flock to eat as much chicken feed as they want, either layer feed or grower or starter feed etc.... Too many treats is a big problem, and should be kept as a treat only feed and not as much as they would like.

bigzio

Quote:
Thanks everyone for all the help.

As for treats. Every 4 to 5 days I mix a pan of speg, oatmeal, rice, mixed chopped veggies, shredded cheese, grapes, strawberries, cherry tomatoes, a little hamburger, greens, chopped melon and whatever else I might have.
The 5 (this includes Henry the roo) of them get 2 cups (that's 2 cups total for all, not each!) every morning. That's their treat. There regular food is out all the time.
They all seem healthy at this point (knock on wood).
Oh and they get a little corn scratch right at bedtime to make it through the cold night.
So I guess I need to change her name from Hazel to piggy!!
lol.png

Her weight seems good so I guess she knows what she's doing!
Thanks again for all the help

Jacie

Back
Top Bottom