1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can a chicken have a stroke?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by familyguy, Jan 2, 2013.

1. familyguy

familyguy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2009
    When I went to let the girls out of the coop this morning I noticed one of them was acting funny. It didn't seem like she was using her right side. She would kinda flop over and kinda flutter around in a circle. Later in the day I went out to check on them and she was sitting kinda lopsided under the coop - with the rest of the girls - and I picked her up and checked her over and didn't seem to notice anything wrong. When I put her down she tried to skittle away, but didn't seem to make it very far. I picked her up and put her back in the coop where she kinda flopped around. Later when I went out to shut up the coop I noticed she had settled into one of the nesting boxes and so I let her alone at this point. It was cold last night, about down the 20 degrees but these are all cold weather girls (this one is a chanticleer) and so that should not be an issue. Anyone have any thoughts? Has this happened to anyone else?

2. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    I'm sure that pretty much any animal can have a stroke. That could well be the cause of all the strange behaviour in this case. But if she is favouring a leg or something like that, it's possible that she has a broken limb. At the same time, I sort of doubt that that's the problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by