can a chicken have a stroke?

familyguy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 27, 2009
When I went to let the girls out of the coop this morning I noticed one of them was acting funny. It didn't seem like she was using her right side. She would kinda flop over and kinda flutter around in a circle. Later in the day I went out to check on them and she was sitting kinda lopsided under the coop - with the rest of the girls - and I picked her up and checked her over and didn't seem to notice anything wrong. When I put her down she tried to skittle away, but didn't seem to make it very far. I picked her up and put her back in the coop where she kinda flopped around. Later when I went out to shut up the coop I noticed she had settled into one of the nesting boxes and so I let her alone at this point. It was cold last night, about down the 20 degrees but these are all cold weather girls (this one is a chanticleer) and so that should not be an issue. Anyone have any thoughts? Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm sure that pretty much any animal can have a stroke. That could well be the cause of all the strange behaviour in this case. But if she is favouring a leg or something like that, it's possible that she has a broken limb. At the same time, I sort of doubt that that's the problem.

Back
Top Bottom