Can a clean faced Easter egged have chicks with muffs?

jay873

Songster
5 Years
Jul 28, 2016
I have a clean faced Easter egger that lays blue eggs and she has being mounted by my buff Orpington and I plan on hatching her eggs from him to have a few green egg layers but I also want beards. I have a bearded Easter egger rooster but he isn't able to mount her because he isn't the dominant roo.
I will hatch eggs from her and him soon but I decided I wanted to get a few buff X easter eggers first. so I'm wondering since you can get a beardless Easter egger from bearded parents (unlikely) is it possible to get bearded ones from beardless parents?

Wait I did a little of biology and you can get no bearded chicks from 2 bearded parents. So you will have an dominant (B) trait and a recessive (b) so both parents give 1 trait. So if both of the parents were heterozygous they would have a big B (B=bearded) And one little b (b=no beard) so there would be 25% chance of a chick with no beard (bb) . Bb will still have a beard because the Beard trait is dominant B

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180427-084530.png
    Screenshot_20180427-084530.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 2
Wait I did a little of biology and you can get no bearded chicks from 2 bearded parents. So you will have an dominant (B) trait and a recessive (b) so both parents give 1 trait. So if both of the parents were heterozygous they would have a big B (B=bearded) And one little b (b=no beard) so there would be 25% chance of a chick with no beard (bb) . Bb will still have a beard because the Beard trait is dominant B
Yep. And if neither of your parents are bearded, you won't get bearded chicks because B must express if the parent has it. Your chooks must both by homozygous nonbearded (bb.) If they were heterozygous for bearding, you would see a beard.

.............|...Parent 1
_______|__b____b
Parent 2:|b bb ... bb
.............|b bb ... bb

So if your bearded cockerel is getting some action in on the side, you'll probably see some bearded chicks. Otherwise, no.

EDT'd because I tried to use the tab key. Please forgive my pathetic attempt at a Punnett Square.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom