Can a comb block their nose?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luvmychicknkids, Mar 11, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Alright, here is my most recent stupid quesion. I was looking at the pics I took of my sweeties today and realized my rooster, Sigmund, has his nostrils covered by his comb. Well, I say rooster, he is a 5 month old cockerel. Soooo......I am assuming his comb will continue to grow? Is it possible it could cause him trouble breathing in the future? Here is a pic of what we have now.....I know some get HUGE combs, but is his too low on his nose or is this normal?

[​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

He looks normal to me. I haven't heard of a roo breathing problems due to combs myself.

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Hope so.....I think I worry as much about them as I did my children when they were babies. I guess they know how to be chickens, I just don't. [​IMG] Thanks. [​IMG]

Oh, WILL his comb get much larger or, I guess, when do they generally stop growing?

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

His looks pretty mature. Might get a tiny bigger but by a year should be pretty "full sized"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by