Can a coop be too big?

lau.gif

as far as I am concerned, no animal pen can be too big, as long as the said animals have options, such as shade, sun, water, feed, places to sleep. Larger also helps reduce fighting.
wink.png

Sally

Quote:
I think you mean Tracy Byrd, but I'll forgive you.
tongue.png

Haha!! Tracy Byrd...much more appropriate. hahah

**Thanks for the forgiveness, but it seems we're both wrong. It was written by Daryle Singletary.
smile.png
But Trace and Tracy both recorded it. It's a great song in any case. LOL!

Never too big, got it. I got a book out of the library on coops and there was a great looking garden coop. Same idea as was posted about here recently. I will have to go looking, but if you see this post I would really appreciate any plans or ideas for your set up. I gotta bunch of questions for you too. (you are the one with the one coops and the eight different runs radiating out. Rotating gardens and whatnot.). That idea would work great because then I'd also have different enclosures for chicken time outs or a bachelor pad.

Questions: does a bachelor pad need to be very separate from the regular flock to be effective? Like out of sight and earshot?

Quote:
I think you mean Tracy Byrd, but I'll forgive you.
tongue.png

Haha!! Tracy Byrd...much more appropriate. hahah

**Thanks for the forgiveness, but it seems we're both wrong. It was written by Daryle Singletary.
smile.png
But Trace and Tracy both recorded it. It's a great song in any case. LOL!

Ooo...i didn't know Trace sang it at all.
Excuse the correction, i'm wrong!

Whitejerabias asked a question I would like answered also. Does a bachelor coop need to be out of sight of the girls ( and their rooster)?
Is managing a bachelors quarters any different from managing a mixed coop/pen?

If you're worried about warmth in the winter, you can put a "hover hood" over the roosts in the winter. I just made a steep a frame out of flashing metal and furring strips that I hang on chains about 2 feet over the roosts. It's just a bit wider than the roosts and steep enough to prevent roosting on top, and it seems to work well, as my birds don't huddle quite as tightly or ruffle up quite as much as they did before I installed it. The great thing about it is it still allows for plenty of ventilation while trapping a bit more heat at roost level. I have considered gluing some styro insulation and luaun on top of mine to improve it somewhat, and possibly rigging a couple of 100 watt bulbs in coffee cans under it for the few really severe cold snaps we usually get here in NE Texas. It's probably overkill but I'll sleep better for it, so it's worth it.

Back
Top Bottom