Can a coturnix (or other quail) ever be tame?

Most of my corts are really tame compared to my Bobs I have one or 2 tuxes that bite me not mean like I think it is their way of being sweet I have a coupla browns that kina peck me a little bit too . I had an adolescent Bob that was an "only child" I kina moma'ed her too much she would climb up on my shoulders make purring cooing noises she would run to the end of the brooder and make noises till I picked her up it can be done just takes a little messing
smile.png

Quote:
They are really tame, even when they when you go tokill them so tame, seems like a crime. They always crawl all over my feet, so sweet so tame, so not desiring.

Quote:
They are really tame, even when they when you go tokill them so tame, seems like a crime. They always crawl all over my feet, so sweet so tame, so not desiring.

my quail stay on the ground I've never had then on my shoulder- all over my feet. I'm impressed- on your shoulders? how do you do that?! Maybe I don't want to know. How do u eat them? Not a judgement I've already eaten mine, just want to know how u feel.

Um, does anybody have "Tame" Button quail? I have 3 babies and I'm trying to tame them but so far only one is kind tamish. He'll kinda stand still and let me pick him up but OMG the other two are a different story!

My coturnix have always been very friendly, some more so than others. I have noticed they like to get on hands, but don't like to be "trapped" in the hand. Bobwhites, I've not had so much luck.

Um, does anybody have "Tame" Button quail? I have 3 babies and I'm trying to tame them but so far only one is kind tamish. He'll kinda stand still and let me pick him up but OMG the other two are a different story!

I have a single Button quail that I hatched myself I had six in the incubator and only one was fertile at the same time I also had one silkie egg out of six that was fertile they hatched the same day so instead of separate brooders which I know I should of done I put them in together. The two are now inseparable and they snuggle up to sleep with the button under the silkies wing.
love.gif

He also loves coming out for a walk around the house or garden and follows me and the silkie and they both snuggle on my shoulder if we're watching tv. He does boink if you try and pick him up sometimes but usually he'll just hop on my hand and let me stroke him.
I have however taken on board that the two species shouldn't be kept together so I've got more silkies and buttons in the incubator and hopefully they will both settle with their own kind.
fl.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

my quail stay on the ground I've never had then on my shoulder- all over my feet. I'm impressed- on your shoulders? how do you do that?! Maybe I don't want to know. How do u eat them? Not a judgement I've already eaten mine, just want to know how u feel.

The brooders I have the newborns in are in the house after 1-3 weeks I move them to a shed that is not heated but insulated well then they are moved out side. I would pick this one up set her on my stomach she would climb up my chest to my shoulders I am sitting on my couch at this point the one that was my pet would not be eaten the ones in the grow out pen are frequently delicious.

Back
Top Bottom