Can a dog and chickens safely coexist in a small backyard?

Quick answer NO! Only go for smaller dogs I think Shih Tzus or Poodles are good with birds JUST DON'T CHOSE CHIHUAHUA'S OR HUNTING DOGS

The dog in my post with the four leghorn pullets resting in him was an outstanding hunting dog. Dogs are smart. He knew they were not the same as the wild ducks and pheasants he retrieved. He knew they were part of the house crew. I have had chickens and dogs cohabitating for many many years with many different dogs and chickens and I have nevwr had one of my dogs hurt or kill a chicken. Now, my dogs are trained and have manners and that matters.

not a good idea if you dont know the dog. my current dog (a labrador) is great with chickens and chicks, they are all bantams and he is so gentle. he will lay in the yard while the chickens jump on his back. my last dog would have killed all of them. it really does depend on the dog.

My chickens panic whenever they see a dog. It doesn’t matter if he is calm, playful full dog or tries to attack. Seeing a dog is enough reason to panic and flee over the hedge to several surrounding gardens in the neighbourhood.

Eh, like anything, they'd get used to it if they saw it for a while. Mine definitely know which dog is safe to follow (my male, who likes to walk the fenceline and the chickens all follow him) and which to run from (big female, would like to charge the fence if allowed.)

So my dilemma is this. I really want to adopt a dog, but I own three pet chickens I am very attached to. I worry that no matter how careful I am, any dog I adopt is going to eventually get loose and eat my chickens. Do you think dog and chicken can coexist in a small backyard? I'd love to hear about other peoples experiences and opinions.

Here's some background on our situation. Our yard is a small, fenced lot (less than .25 acres). My chickens have a good size run, but frequently free-range the backyard when I am around to watch them. The dog I am looking to adopt is a 2 year old beagle. My husband (also very attached to the chickens) tells me to adopt a cat instead, just to be safe. I like cats but I LOVE dogs. Can a dog be trained to tolerate chickens?
We have 3 dogs and 4 chickens and there are no issues whatsoever. Our chickens free range mostly and we have a large dog who goes in and out to do his business and the chickens will either ignore him or go watch him do his business. It’s hilarious. We have two smaller dogs. One is terrified of the chickens and the other can’t see them so she just chases their shadows. Everyone gets along great but we’ve also had them all around eachother since the chickens were babies. Our big dog is part pit bull and something else and could easily kill them but he shows no interest. We usually do keep an eye on them if they are out together but I feel comfortable when they go in and out without supervising them going potty while the chickens are free ranging.

My dog is half Husky half Great Pyrenees. She is a year old and has been raised around chickens since we got her at 10 weeks old. Despite this, I cannot trust her around my chickens. She has her own fenced backyard which is separate but adjacent to the chickens yard. Twice I've had young pullets fly over the 5 ft fence into her backyard. I got to one in time. She killed the other....

My horse trainer has a mixed breed rescue bait dog that was about a year old with puppies when she rescued her. She had been hiding as a stray in some nearby woods and caring for her pups by scrounging for food in trash. That dog is outside all the time and never bothers the free range chickens at her barn.... So I DO think you can find dogs who will NOT attack your chickens... However this might be difficult to ascertain from an adoption facility because you cannot observe any potential dog's behavior around your chickens prior to adopting....

As for cats.... I have 3 indoor cats. On rare occasions I will allow them to go outside in my fenced backyard while I supervise them. Before I got my dog, my cats were in the same backyard space as my chickens and NEVER ONCE bothered my girls.... In fact, my chickens harassed the cats far worse than any attention the cats ever gave them.... I've also kept brooders of chicks in the house and my cats could care less....

So my dilemma is this. I really want to adopt a dog, but I own three pet chickens I am very attached to. I worry that no matter how careful I am, any dog I adopt is going to eventually get loose and eat my chickens. Do you think dog and chicken can coexist in a small backyard? I'd love to hear about other peoples experiences and opinions.

Here's some background on our situation. Our yard is a small, fenced lot (less than .25 acres). My chickens have a good size run, but frequently free-range the backyard when I am around to watch them. The dog I am looking to adopt is a 2 year old beagle. My husband (also very attached to the chickens) tells me to adopt a cat instead, just to be safe. I like cats but I LOVE dogs. Can a dog be trained to tolerate chickens?

Probably not a beagle. Puppies (any breed) can be trained to co-exist

Speaking from many years of experience, herding and LGD breeds - properly bred, raised and trained, yes. Hunting, sight hounds, some toy breeds - strongly advise against. Cats - my rescue barn cat gets beat up by the hens daily. One broody hen raised a clutch around him, and only had to give him stink eye to make her point. Other than LGD (livestock guardian dogs), it’s probably not a good idea to leave dog and chickens alone and unsupervised at any time.

Back
Top Bottom