Can a dog and chickens safely coexist in a small backyard?

Pics
71820F1E-A010-4EE7-9D21-517CEABEFE8B.jpeg
A35BB4B7-C3A6-4C56-A9C7-93604B8B3CB0.jpeg
37C2D8F7-0F41-424F-A66C-82445BCEB1B3.jpeg

So my dilemma is this. I really want to adopt a dog, but I own three pet chickens I am very attached to. I worry that no matter how careful I am, any dog I adopt is going to eventually get loose and eat my chickens. Do you think dog and chicken can coexist in a small backyard? I'd love to hear about other peoples experiences and opinions.

Here's some background on our situation. Our yard is a small, fenced lot (less than .25 acres). My chickens have a good size run, but frequently free-range the backyard when I am around to watch them. The dog I am looking to adopt is a 2 year old beagle. My husband (also very attached to the chickens) tells me to adopt a cat instead, just to be safe. I like cats but I LOVE dogs. Can a dog be trained to tolerate chickens?
We foster rescue dogs and have our own. We have many different reactions from different breeds. None really tied to a certain breed. A puppy raised with the chickens would be safest but I have great outcomes with guarding dogs like Pyrenees. I haven’t lost a chicken yet. Practice on leash walking by chickens. Chase reaction give a sharp no. Ignoring chickens give treat and lots of praise. Good luck. There aren’t enough homes for rescue dogs. Spay and neuter.

When I got my first baby chicks about 10 years ago, I let my Lab watch them in the brooder. She was fascinated with them and they with her. As I started putting them in the chicken coop, she would watch and wait for me to open the door when was high enough off the ground where she could stick her head in. They would jump on her head and she would let them. As the got bigger and I’d let them out in the yard, they would still approach her until one day one pecked her on the nose. She avoids them now altogether. See attached. (No eye contact) However, a beagle breed dog came over one day and it didn’t end well for one of my chickens.

Attachments

• EC0D98B1-5EE5-480F-A827-F8DA28EA7B46.jpeg
    EC0D98B1-5EE5-480F-A827-F8DA28EA7B46.jpeg
    998.7 KB · Views: 4
I have 2 adult dogs that I had before I started raising chickens in my small backyard. There was a learning curve and they killed 3 chickens in one fell swoop when I was still getting them used to each other. I pulled back and was rotating them —chickens out dogs in— then dogs out and chickens in— for a about a month. That got old fast and I started again. I kept the dogs leashed while they were out together. I gradually let the dogs off the leash but was watching carefully. I don’t remember how long it took but the first time I went inside while both were out was a little nerve wracking. They coexist quite well now. I just got a puppy who is a little too interested in the chickens but they are bigger than her right now. I will have to train her as she gets older and bigger. Short answer-most dogs can become chicken friendly with patience. BTW I have a boxer and a mutt about the size of a corgi. The mutt is a predator. He has killed many rats and mice. He also has “killed” possums that have come in the yard but he doesn’t bother the chickens. My puppy is half boxer and half Cane Corso.

Just don't free-range unless you are within a few feet of your birds. Unless your dog is trained sufficiently to guard them from other dogs or predators (which are the main reason to not 100% free-range). Also consider this fact: when slow (also sneaky) dogs learn to steal eggs, it is like hens eating them--nearly impossible to "un-train" that.

I will say that it depends on the dog. We have a cross havanese/shihtzu (supposedly) and he is more afraid of the chickens than wanting to go after them. He is the same with out parrots. He doesn't have the sort of mouth that is good for grabbing like, say, a terrier. We had a havanese for a while that was similar. Supposedly, Havanese were used to herd chickens in Cuba. Dogs that were bred for pampering would likely be the safest. Working/hunting dogs are probably too prey driven to be safe around chickens. Beagles were bred to track small game, so they'd probably be great at tracking chickens. You'd have to train one to never harm the prey and a 2 year old may be past that point.

Our dog, a whippet/chocolate lab mutt who has an alleged history of killing chickens with a previous owner, has never had any kind of issue with our 4 chickens on a small (<.25 acre) yard. The chickens mostly stay in a decent sized run, but free range for most of the afternoon, often alongside the dog. We introduced everyone slowly to be sure it would be fine, and after a few months, the dog has smelled all there is to smell of the chickens. We also have a beagle mix and an Australian cattle dog mix that stop by occasionally with no problems. In general, all the dogs seem afraid of the birds, more than the other way around.

I would agree with the people who said it depends on the dog.
I started keeping chickens when my mutt (chow x) was about 7. At that age she had calmed down, but she still liked to chase cats, etc. I didn’t let her mix with the pullets until they were almost full grown. And I watched her closely. The first time she started chasing them I yelled at her. And that was about all it took. She’s started going after them occasionally when there was a squabble, but she mostly ignores them now. She’s 14 now. They do have bushes they can hide under and places to get away if need be.
Just one thing I should warn you about: some dogs like chicken poo. Mine will lick it no matter how much I try to discourage her. Yuck!

I have a10 year old Pomeranian and my room mate has an 11 year old Maltese, both had never been around chickens when we decided to start our backyard flock (4 chicks). They were very curious about each other as we started letting the chicks into 'their' yard, sometimes nose to nose at the fence. The pups would sometimes charge the fence to see them flap away, but we always corrected them. As the chicks matured (got bigger) we started letting them free range the backyard and garden area... We kept them separate for awhile and slowly started letting them out together, under supervision of course. Funny, as the dogs got used to the chicks, the chicks got used to the dogs, the chicks started to check out the dogs, even pecking at tail fur and they even shared in treat time! So I think it may take patience and discipline and of course being vigilant when they are together, but it can happen if you want it to. I agree certain breeds would be harder than others, but it also depends on the relationship you have with your pup too. The more they listen to and respect you, the easier it will be to get them to accept something new in their world. Of course NEVER assume you can trust them to make the right decision on their own! They are animals with natural instincts after all. So either separation and slow introduction, or special times each gets to have alone in a certain area, or choose between one or the other. It took about six patient months of diligent time, correction and awareness and now they are 'almost' friends, lol. Good luck on your decision! I'll never be without a canine in my life, but I am enjoying my feathered friends now too!

Attachments

• IMG_20200706_082554047.jpg
    IMG_20200706_082554047.jpg
    796.5 KB · Views: 1
I have 2 large dogs that are great with the chickens. The cat too. You might try going thru a rescue that has dogs in foster care and will know how a particular dog will do with other species.
A11887FE-B9CA-48A5-92EB-29B3CA9291D7.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom