Can a dog be a companion for a goat?

Xtina

Songster
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
I've had the crazy idea of keeping a dairy goat for about 8 months or a year before selling it to another owner (long story, not worth going into). I know that goats are herd animals and they need company, but I'm wondering, do I really need two (or three) goats, or are there other ways to provide that companionship? I have a very sweet, loving Rottweiler/Shepherd mix who is very good with my hens and I seriously doubt would cause a hazard to the goat (of course, I'd make sure first). I think she'd very much like to befriend a goat, so the question is, would the goat like to be friendly with a dog, or is it crucial that her companion be another goat?

There is a breed of dog called Maremma that will integrate it's way into a herd. The idea is that it will protect the flock from predators.
But I think it would be alot cheaper for you to just get a few more goats.

There have been only a couple of times when I have tried to keep one goat in a pen, and in both cases, the goat spent a lot of time trying to go find other goats (ever see a pregnant goat somersault over a 4-foot fence? Scary!). They definitely want the 24/7 company of some other animal; one time, a sheep was good enough. But I'm not sure how a goat would feel about a dog. One of my goats had it in for dogs; she would butt anything doglike that came in her space. I once saw her go out of her way to flatten a cat that was just walking by; I also saw her chase a fox around the barn 3 times before it got enough of a lead on her to get to the hole under the fence it had dug to get in. She,at least, knew a predator when she saw one, and wanted nothing to do with them.
hu.gif

Hmm, so do you guys think it will be more difficult than I anticipate to have my dog share the backyard with some goats in milk? Would it be less difficult without a baby goat? Would the stress of a dog make them stop producing milk?

When I had a bottle calf the dog and him created a special bond together. They were best friends. I know that goats and calfs are different but I think it still might work. But even though the goat would have a dog friend their favorite buddy will always be their owner

I have one goat and 3 dogs. They all get along fine but I'm getting her a companion in 2weeks just because I know she will be much happier with another goat. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom