Can a dog be a companion for a goat?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Xtina, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Xtina

Xtina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    I've had the crazy idea of keeping a dairy goat for about 8 months or a year before selling it to another owner (long story, not worth going into). I know that goats are herd animals and they need company, but I'm wondering, do I really need two (or three) goats, or are there other ways to provide that companionship? I have a very sweet, loving Rottweiler/Shepherd mix who is very good with my hens and I seriously doubt would cause a hazard to the goat (of course, I'd make sure first). I think she'd very much like to befriend a goat, so the question is, would the goat like to be friendly with a dog, or is it crucial that her companion be another goat?

2. LordStark

LordStark Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2014
    Australia NSW
    There is a breed of dog called Maremma that will integrate it's way into a herd. The idea is that it will protect the flock from predators.
    But I think it would be alot cheaper for you to just get a few more goats.

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    There have been only a couple of times when I have tried to keep one goat in a pen, and in both cases, the goat spent a lot of time trying to go find other goats (ever see a pregnant goat somersault over a 4-foot fence? Scary!). They definitely want the 24/7 company of some other animal; one time, a sheep was good enough. But I'm not sure how a goat would feel about a dog. One of my goats had it in for dogs; she would butt anything doglike that came in her space. I once saw her go out of her way to flatten a cat that was just walking by; I also saw her chase a fox around the barn 3 times before it got enough of a lead on her to get to the hole under the fence it had dug to get in. She,at least, knew a predator when she saw one, and wanted nothing to do with them.[​IMG]

4. Xtina

Xtina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Hmm, so do you guys think it will be more difficult than I anticipate to have my dog share the backyard with some goats in milk? Would it be less difficult without a baby goat? Would the stress of a dog make them stop producing milk?

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    It is really likely that the goat is going to butt the dog.

6. Farm Girl 1

Farm Girl 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2014
    When I had a bottle calf the dog and him created a special bond together. They were best friends. I know that goats and calfs are different but I think it still might work. But even though the goat would have a dog friend their favorite buddy will always be their owner

7. wwadford

wwadford New Egg

Sep 8, 2015
    Danville Virginia
    I have one goat and 3 dogs. They all get along fine but I'm getting her a companion in 2weeks just because I know she will be much happier with another goat. Just my opinion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by