1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can a duck lay 2 eggs in a day??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mommyofthree, Nov 10, 2010.

1. mommyofthree

mommyofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    We got 3 new ducks (1 is a drake) and they weren't regularly laying at their last home. After a week and a half here they hadn't laid a single egg. My 2 ducks that had each been consistently laying an egg a day for 2 months, and they just stopped laying for a few days. I'm assuming it was stress related with having the new ducks..??
    Anyway, I went out this morning to find 5 eggs and i only have 4 females. Could one of them have laid 2 eggs this morning?? I know they weren't there yesterday, there's no way for them to hide eggs in the coop.

2. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    yes,It happens sometimes

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It does happen- sometimes the second egg will have a softer shell, and they dont lay an egg at all the next day. Often it is stress related that puts a temporary hiccup in egg production but it is something that does happen fairly commonly.

4. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    Yes definitly, mine did a few weeks ago. I only have 1 pekin and she has laid 2 in 1 day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by